Tilting chair backwards.

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by withy, Mar 8, 2015.

1. withy

withy Registered User

Feb 23, 2013
    Lancashire
    Help needed please. My husband kept tipping his dining chair backwards. Our son suggested an office chair, which was fine but he was too mobile. I tried to get lockable casters for it, but the chair has clip in casters and the lockable ones seemed to be all the screw in type. When I got his new wheelchair I thought I had solved it by wheeling him to the table and putting the brakes on, but after 3 days he has started tipping the wheelchair onto the back two wheels. Has anybody else had this problem please? Is there a solution?

2. Sue J

Sue J Registered User

Dec 9, 2009
  3. pippop1

pippop1 Registered User

Apr 8, 2013
    #3 pippop1, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    Ignore. Sorry.

4. pippop1

pippop1 Registered User

Apr 8, 2013
  5. Chuggalug

Chuggalug Registered User

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
  6. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    You want a chair where the rear legs contact the floor well behind the centre of gravity of the seated person.

I found one specially designed for class room use
    [​IMG]
    but any chair with rear legs sloping backwards would do, I can envisage a tubular steel one but can't find an image.

7. withy

withy Registered User

Feb 23, 2013
    Lancashire
    Thanks for all the advice. We eat in the kitchen now because mealtimes can be very messy so there isnt much room but Nitrams suggestion looks good. I know what to look for now.