Ticked off.......

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
After yet another no show from the district nurse yesterday i emailed the senior nurse for the umpteenth time regarding the poor service i receive. Had a reply that my tone was unacceptable and disrespectful - admittedly it was a terse email but no offence was meant. The service from the district nurses is so poor and disorganized that im often exasperated and angry when i do get the chance to send an email.
I am in the process of an official complaint and am waiting on an advocate to add some weight to my complaint but honestly i have little faith in this changing anything....

Why should it be this way?

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
After yet another no show from the district nurse yesterday i emailed the senior nurse for the umpteenth time regarding the poor service i receive. Had a reply that my tone was unacceptable and disrespectful - admittedly it was a terse email but no offence was meant. The service from the district nurses is so poor and disorganized that im often exasperated and angry when i do get the chance to send an email.
I am in the process of an official complaint and am waiting on an advocate to add some weight to my complaint but honestly i have little faith in this changing anything....

Why should it be this way?

I know just what you mean and all they can do is complain about the tone of your Email. You just wonder when compassion went out the window?

AndreaP

Aug 19, 2015
Adelaide South Australia
How dare they? Sounds as if they subscribe to "attack is the best defence" style of communication. I would not be prepared to accept this, both the no show and the senior nurse's response. Take it to the next level. There is no reason in these days of mobile phones that the nurse couldn't call and advise she was running late and couldn't make it.

It isn't good enough. I love taking on this sort of thing when I've had poor service. I'm afraid I'd be going in all guns blazing.

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
12 emails ive sent since Aug 11th and half havent been replied to - and they tick me off for my tone. Im at a loss with this - the service is poor and constantly breaking down and they know it, So of course the carer is admonished - youd need the patience of a saint to deal with the nonsense.

The Official complaint - which is ready to go once the advocate is in place - goes directly to the hospital where the district nurse service is based. I hold no great hopes that this will resolve anything.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Playing devil's advocate here, but I do know that in our area the district nurses are greatly depleted and the mental health nurses even more so.
It means heavier workloads for those that do remain.
That doesn't excuse the lack of apology for non-attendance though nor the lack of understanding of why we lose patience with a service that doesn't provide what it should do.

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
I had the Head of nursing visit me in Feb and i told her of all the instances regarding "breakdowns" in service - Initially she was very understanding and said it was perfectly reasonable to expect a phone call each morning with the timing of the visit etc. I also requested that the regular blood tests be in the afternoon as it was unfair on my Uncle to wait all morning for 2 visits - when a blood test was needed. She asked me to email when there were "issues" but she started to cool off after the 5th or 6th email and the replies became sparse. Im not a hostile or rude person - my emails have become abrupt in tone as they are usually composed when im exasperated or angry at the latest no show or lack of response.

If something is constantly "breaking down" you tend to get fed up of reading "we will endeavour to improve things" for the umpteenth time.

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
Having "slept on it" over the weekend (the only time i get to do so)
i intend to follow this up - as best i can...
nb : they called friday (11.30am) to say they would arrive at 1pm - i refused saying i needed to bathe and make lunch for my uncle - this can take time and i requested 1pm monday - They called on sunday saying the blood test and medication (he requires a daily suppository) would happen Monday at 9 - 10 am even though an agreement had been made in Feb 2015 that all blood tests would take place at 1 pm.

My life in a nutshell

Quizbunny

Nov 20, 2011
Sorry you are so frustrated with the service, and I dare say I would be but, the community nursing service is under intense strain most of the time, and it really isn't feasable to set times and always stick to them. Unfortunately patients tend to be referred into the service, often at short notice, and schedules need to be shuffled to fit everything in. Obviously staff sickness and holidays also will be a factor.

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
I know you are making an official complaint for this and I am sure that's the best course of action in this case, however for other things I stumbled across this solution:

LOADS of problems with our hospital, which has been on national news several times for being rubbish. Complaining to PALS had proved fairly fruitless on the whole and with the latest disaster I couldn't even get through and my answerphone messages weren't returned. Totally fed up I created a Twitter account and posted my disgust (hard to do in less than 140 characters when I've had such grief but I managed).

Within SIXTY SECONDS I'd had a reply with an email address for me to contact the Head of External Relations and it got sorted. Next time I have a problem (only a matter of time!) I will know what to do if I don't get a satisfactory response.

These organisations HATE their faults being highlighted on Social Media, it's a shame we have to resort to these things but I will do whatever it takes to get proper treatment for my parents.

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
Im friendly and polite with the nurses who visit - and i understand the workload and pressure they are under - however the head of nursing visited and was shocked by the randomness and poor communication and put in place a process ....the problem is its constantly breaking down and its not the nurses fault - its the way it is run and the disregard for the patient and carer...every day is a guessing game and no one can function like that.

Twitter is a good idea - thank you

Pegsdaughter

Oct 7, 2014
London
Write to your mp bullet point all the problems and itemise the responses which you receive. You mp will then contact the minister of health who will then ask officials to investigate . I am a former civil servant who was involved in this sort of thing and believe me officials jump when MPs are involved.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
My complaint is ready to be sent - with Age UK acting as advocate.

My concern is the effect this will have on a continued relationship with the service my Uncle receives.

Has anyone had to complain about a service that continued after making a formal complaint?

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015

My concern is the effect this will have on a continued relationship with the service my Uncle receives.

Has anyone had to complain about a service that continued after making a formal complaint?

I haven't personally but I know of someone who has. They did achieve a better service in the end as the company realised that the person who has complained won't be brushed off and will be ready to complain again, so don't be concerned about the consequences of complaining. Mistakes are to be learnt from so hopefully this will help others not just you.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011

I have!! Many times!! I am a great advocate for complaining about poor/unacceptable services. I strongly believe that if we don't complain the service doesn't improve and is deemed to be 'good enough' for both us and for others and it is on that basis that I make the time to complain even if I have to do it in the middle of the night!!

I have never found that the service becomes strained or difficult for the person receiving care only that it improves - they may not like me and I can live with that, but some people don't have advocates and so we need to make sure that the services fulfil their duty of care - but others may have found otherwise and I know many do not feel it is the way forward. I work with local organisations to get decent services for older people with memory loss in our area and I know that there are shortages or staff and money but I don't think that missed calls from any service is acceptable.
I also think that is a rude and unacceptable reply on email and that this is how they deal with the public to attempt to intimidate - absolutely NOT OK and well done you for taking it on. So pleased you have the help of an advocate - good luck both for you and your family and for all those people in your area who don't have anyone to fight for them. Thinking of you. Do keep posting x

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Beats the boots offa me when there's all the notices in hospitals and suchlike places about violence. And yet, if it isn't a violent act to deny help to those who need it, for years on end, then I don't know what is.

I really shouldn't read these things coz it gets me started.

So dreadfully sorry you're facing the same trials :(

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
Thanks for the replies - yes i am going to complain and i will let you know the outcome.

As a side note i requested details of my Uncles Flu jab on the 6th October as i had heard nothing.

I received a reply on the 20th - 15 days later and only after i had emailed on the 19th to say id had heard nothing.

I really hope some are receiving better experiences as a carer

Chewy

Feb 4, 2013
I had the same problem, six weeks we waited for the initial contact, one no show and then an am appointment turned up in the afternoon. What done it for me was she told me she had more serious cases to see that day well that done it she got a good mouthful from me over the phone. I reached the point that I didn't care because if dementia with double incontinence factored in was not that important to her it was best she didn't bother coming at all , I told her I was going to bring my dad with me to their office and some one could explain what she said to my dad !!! The nurse was round the next morning first call of the day. Like someone previously said, I understand the service is stretched but a phone call or even dare i an apology wouldn't go a miss. Sometimes I find if you are not pushy your needs are just ignored and you are walked all over.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
Finally received a reply to my complaint - its almost word for word what i imagined id receive. No accountability, No reference to the incidents i documented, No attempt to improve the situation - "we accept that on occasion the Service hasnt been up to standard" - "Your emails were not answered because "we felt" they didnt need a response" - Im in exactly the same spot as when i started.
Depressing

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Sorry to read about your poor experience with community nurses. Maybe you live in a bad area. Dad's had daily visits from district nurse since the end of July and sometimes twice a day when his wound has needed redressing. They are now down to once every 2 days at last. I think they have swapped the team over at least 3 times now and I can honestly say they have all been lovely. After several tedious attempts at getting an out of hours nurse from the 111 service, my local nurses gave me a magic out of hours palliative care number and I've never had to wait more than a couple of hours for a nurse to arrive. Their work load is horrendous and they always get offered a cup of tea here , although most times they are to busy to accept.