tias

sugarbabe

Jul 8, 2014
My mom has had alzheimers for the last 10 years. In the last 2 years she has become completely depended on someone esle for her personal care.(bathing,eating,diaper changing, etc) In the last 2 months she started having tias (or so the hospice nurse seems to think) She told us yesterday that since she has had 5 in the last month it could be leading up to a big one. Has anyone esle experinced this? If so what do we look for? Will this be painful? Will this be what happens at the very end? Im kinda at my wits end. It just feels like Im always waiting for the end. I feel terribly guilty for feeling like this. My dad is 83 and Im the only one that helps with mom other than the cna that comes in and bathes her once a day Mon-Fri. Thanks for your help.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
the worst one i had I was asleep and dreaming that wild animals were going over my head I have had sharp pains in my head but nothing lasted for long I guess everyone is diffeerent so there are no hard and fast rules for this Sometimes I have just become aware that my left arm isn't working properly and feels very heavy.
Sorry I can't offer any more info than that

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
My Mum said (while the TIA was happening) she felt very hot. She didn't complain of feeling unwell though the paramedics gave her oxygen and whizzed her off to hospital (we rang 999). On getting to hospital perhaps 30 minutes afterwards, Mum had recovered enough to think the attending doctor very dishy! We felt like frauds.

I know that monitoring the blood pressure and keeping it controlled is very important in preventing fully blown strokes. That done, I understand you can't do anything more to stop TIAs happening.

Please just try to enjoy being with your Mum as much as you can, while she's with you. There's no point in worrying about the future, for any of us. We know the outlook's not good and we've very little ability to influence what will happen.

Hanging on to every good moment is the only tactic that works for me.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello.
My dad is prone to TIAs, he doesn't have dementia.
His are caused by small blood clots, so he is on Clopidogrel.

Bear in mind I am not medically qualified
If they are caused by a small bleed, then the above or Aspirin is not appropriate.

The only difference I know is ,that TIAs are transient where a stroke isn't , though the signs/symptoms are the same
I believe they can be a precursor to the real thing, my dad has had quite a few since he started with them sometime in the 1980s, he has never, fingers and everything else crossed, never had a stroke.

I know it is such a worry for you.