Tia

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi

Well I was just about to go see Mum in hospital to-day, when I got a call from Dad's care home.

He had a "turn" and the "girls" (carers had paniced) but the Doctor had been called and Dad was in bed and OK.

I phoned my eldest Daughter to go to the care home to be there for the Doctor.

I visited Mum and then went to the care home. Dad was in bed. The NHS 24 Doctor said Dad had, had a TIA, but as Dad was very unco-operative it was hard to say.

The carers who were there at the time were quite distressed, they thought he had died. He had to be put in the recovery position and given CPR

Dad has Brachycardia, at the time of collaspe they couldn't find a pulse and his blood pressure was 80 over sixty.

Does anyone know if Brachycardia can cause a TIA, I always though it was high blood pressure which caused TIAs But what do I know?

Not a good day

Love all
Alfjess

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Alfjess, so sorry you've had to go through this, it must have been very frightening. Now you have to worry about your dad as well as your mum.:(

I'm no expert either, but as far as I know, TIAs are caused by small blood clots which block an artery and cut the supply of oxygen to the brain. They usually break up quickly, so the effect only lasts for a moment or two.

Some TIAs are so fleeting that the person doesn't notice it. If your dad had to have CPR, it must have been a severe one, or possibly a full-blown stroke.

I honestly don't know if brachycardia would make TIAs more or less likely.

Sorry, I'm not being much comfort to you. My mum had TIAs, but never as bad as that, though she did eventually have a massive stroke.

I imagine they'll get your own doctor to see your dad tomorrow, and he'll give you more information. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Take care, and try and get some rest.

Love,

Doreen99

Jan 12, 2008
Sheffield
What a horrible day for you, you must be stressed and exhausted with it all.

I think you'll probably get the info you need from your dad's GP.

Meantime, it would be nice if you could try and relax and get a good night's sleep - easier said than done, I know.

But I'm sending you a big hug, in the hopes it might make you feel better.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear alfjess,

I am sorry to hear about your dad and the stress it would have caused you. Along with the poor carers.

alfjess said:
I always though it was high blood pressure which caused TIAs But what do I know?

I suffer from atrial fibrillation which is the opposite to brachycardia my heart goes out of rhythm and beats way to fast this condition is treated with heart medication and blood thinners. I was told that this condition could cause the heart to throw a clot resulting in a stroke, hence.... the need for blood thinners.

Best wishes to you and your parents, Take Care Taffy.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sorry to hear about your father Alfjess.

My mother had TIA`s but they wee so minor she was never inconvenienced by them. I hope your father`s doctor will explain to you exactly what happened.

Please let us know.

Take care xx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Alfjess

(((((hugs))))))))

This happens to my Mum fairly regularly now in the end stages of her VAD. I well remember how scary the first one was and how the care home sent out the emergency call for my brother and I to get there ASAP.

The shock and fear stays with you. Mum has high BP so I cannot answer your question but I would ask the GP if you have concerns.

Thinking of you

Mameeskye

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi

Thanks for all your replies.

Saw Dad to-day and he is fine, the care home didn't inform the GP to-day.

I got in touch with GP and made an appointment for Dad to have an ECG next week.

I have also requested the district nurse takes some blood for basic tests.

Going by his recovery to-day, I suppose it could have been a TIA.

Meanwhile I have a meeting with Mum's Psyche consultant on Wednesday, I think to be told what kind of care Mum will be needing in future

Life is very stressful, but never boring

Will keep you all informed
Thanks again
Alfjess

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Great news about your dad, alfjess. I'm so glad he was OK when you saw him. Good idea to arrange the tests, though, they might identify the problem.

Hope Wednesday's meeting goes well. And you thought life was going to be easier with your parents in care!:eek:

Love,

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Alfjess. You deserve a medal.
Love xx

Hear, hear!!

Life is very stressful, but never boring
I admire you very much for still keeping your perspective so clearly!

Just wanting to let you know that you and both your parents are in my thoughts, and I'm sending my very best wishes for positive outcomes in all situations.

DO take care of your dear self as well.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi

Thanks everyone for the support.

I am dreading tomorrow's consultation.

Don't know why I should be, but I think tomorrow is crunch time, when the consultant is going to tell me Mum is not going to get any better.

I know this really, but I have been living in hope that she could be stabilised and go back to the care home with Dad.

It is hard to think, that after 61 years of married life, they cannot be together for the rest of the short time they have left to them.

I don't think I deserve a medal, I am only doing what all others on this site do. The best they can

Thanks again

Alfjess

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think you`ll be in all our thoughts tomorrow Alfjess. I do hope you hear what you would like to hear.

I can only keep my fingers crossed.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Alfjess, I've been waiting for you to post about your meeting today. I hope it wasn't too bad for you?

Love,

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Hazel

Sorry, I have posted in the other thread, "communication."

The meeting was not good and I was upset, although I suppose I should have expected it

Thanks everyone for your concern

Love
Alfjess

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513