Thumps in the night.

chrissieL

Jun 22, 2005
Shropshire
Hi everyone,
My husband woke me in the middle of the night last night, he was very worried and upset because he could hear a loud thumping noise. I couldn't hear a thing. He is hard of hearing and didn't have his hearing aids in, my hearing is fine.
I asked him if he could hear it all over the house as we walked around checking each room, he said he could and that it was a very loud 'thump, thump' noise. Could it be his heart beat he is hearing? ( he has told me he could hear this noise once before, but during the day), has anyone else experienced this?
I managed to settle and comfort him and he slept o.k. after.

p.s. this is the first time he has woken me in the night so I don't think it's a wandering thing.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I don't know the answer in your specific case, but when I was a child, I would sometimes hear the blood pumping in my ears when I had my head on the pillow, at night.

I would tell my parents that I could hear mice running around in the cooker, because that is how I visualised it.

I still hear it from time to time, but realise now what causes it. Generally I'll reckon I need to get some Otex for my ears.

chrissieL

Jun 22, 2005
Shropshire
Hi Bruce,
Thanks, he had his ears syringed a few weeks ago so they should be clean.
I have just googled tinnitus and I think it could be that. Apparantly it's quite common in hard of hearing people and sometimes the sounds are exactly what you said....the blood pumping through small veins next to the ear, if it continues I'll take him for a check up.
He seems quite happy with that suggestion, so it may settle down if he relaxes about it.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hiya, I think Brucie is right, the sound of your own heart thumping can appear deafening at times if you are distressed in any way. I would be inclined to think this is what is happening too. Hope it soon passes and he can sleep easier again for both your sakes. Love She. xx

chrissieL

Jun 22, 2005
Shropshire
Thanks She,
He seemed happy with that explanation and he slept o.k. last night. I will keep an eye on things though, just in case there's an infection or something.

Turns out he woke me up because I had told him to tell me if anything was worrying him or if he had any pain etc. it didn't occur to him that I didn't necessarily mean in the middle of the night, bless him!
Now I'm worried that he won't wake me if there's something really wrong, he takes things so literally I have to be careful what I say and once said it's too late.
He will latch onto certain things and remember them, usually the things you don't want him to!! This illness is so complicated.

jks

Jul 2, 2005
West Yorkshire
'He will latch onto certain things and remember them, usually the things you don't want him to!! This illness is so complicated.'

Oh, Chrissie, I know what you mean!

My Mum had a stroke in March, and was in hospital for 6 weeks. The care she received as brilliant, the nurses were great. My Dad (who had AD) and I visited every day.

There was one male nurse on the ward, who had them all in fits of laughter. He was always joking with them, singing, generally playing the fool a bit. The old ladies loved him.

Then one day, another nurse made a throw-away comment about him really being a Butlins Redcoat. Well, that was it! My Dad took this literally, and kept going on about how disgusting it was to have a 'bloody holiday camp entertainer' looking after his wife! He would NOT believe it had been a joke.

In the end, I had to try and time our visits to avoid this chaps shifts.

Dad still remembers the 'Redcoat' now. But not what day it is, if he's had his breakfast, etc etc.

A cruel and complicated illness indeed.

Regards
Joanne