Thoughts on redesign of Post New Thread page

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
I think there is always room to improve something it's just finding the right way to do this and I hope that this thread may lead to something constructive as it has prompted many people to comment.

Here are some rudimentary thoughts from me -
Scenario:
I wish to start a new thread....

I'm thinking that the Post New Thread page could be redesigned? Would it be helpful to prompt the author with a drop down menu to classify the nature of their thread: for example - this is my first post, getting help with a diagnosis, care home advice etc etc

There would of course have to be a list of no more than say 10 options with Other at the bottom to catch the less common questions.

The prompt list would be helpful to new users as well as more seasoned users in that it will help give focus to the question.

It may be possible to help the user to specify whether they wish to convey emotion so a good news thread is highlighted as such and likewise a desperate plea for help. And anyone wishing to talk about subjects that do not require "answers" e.g rants or general points of view could be filtered too. This would help the moderators who must find it hard to have to move posts on occasion.

It would then be possible to design a search engine within the forum for members to quickly search for content so they don't have to read all the new posts on a daily basis and can sort out post where they can offer relevant experience.

This should not make the page more complicated than it is, in fact I think the tool bars and Smilies get in the way and why is the Tags window so prominent? It is hardly ever used because it's not understood, which is a great pity.

So my thought would be to replace the Tags section with a drop down Category section.

I think there is a wealth of information and experience on TP which is growing every day and every hour but where does it all go? There must be a way of capturing the most valuable information and filing on Topic Boards. That would cut down the amount of new posters as they could find answers to their concerns more easily without trying to search using the current search engines. Or am I not using the search engines in the right way?

Just thoughts, I am not an expert and I do realise that web sites are expensive to develop in this way.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Sorry, I meant to post this as a reply to Jimbo's thread ", can a moderator please move it.

Please do not move this thread to 'am I asking for trouble ???'
Your contribution has more to offer on this subject
I think my original posting has now lost its way
jimbo 111

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I think my original posting has now lost its way
jimbo 111
I disagree , it highlighted a problem and since your original posting ive noticed improvements in things that had been concerning me

I last read your thread last night (will read again later) yes it has evolved
as often threads do ,

We were all newbies here once and on every site ive been on I found it takes a while to find your way around a site , everythings easy when u know how :)

The main probkem I had was finding my own and other threads that i wanted to follow.

I think an automatic pm to newcomers saying hi and explaining how to subscrbe to and find their subscibed threads would be most helpful

Earlier today i spotted a newcomer had posted a thread lastt night , neen replied to but this morning put anothet tread up saying the same as the orevious thread , as i think it was likely they couldnt find there original thread I sent a welcoming pm and explained how to subscribe

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Jancis you obviously have put a lot of thought into this, so well done.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that you might not fully appreciate that we are constrained by the forum software we use. We, like many other forums, use a software package called vbulletin. This is a package that allows us to make some changes with layout, colours and content but much of what you suggest would not be possible. The reason that we use this software is that it is robust (it is well tested and has very few bugs), it is quite flexible, and very secure. It is also, and this is perhaps one of the most important thing from the point of view of a charity, reasonably priced for what it is.

The sort of thing you envision would require a forum software package built from scratch which would inevitably cost millions and take many years of programing and testing.

Lin - your point about what to include within the welcome PM (which people to get) is well taken. It's been a while since I got a welcome PM and while I think it has instructions about how to start a new thread it might be worthwhile considering adding your suggestion.

Finally, you may not be aware that the society regularly conducts usability testing: getting people who have never used the forum before (or in fact any forum before) to do the various things that they might want to do, and the society software people use this information to see where there are potential problems.

bunnies

May 16, 2010
subscribing to posts

I think an automatic pm to newcomers saying hi and explaining how to subscrbe to and find their subscibed threads would be most helpful

As a relative 'newbie', I must say I haven't been able to work out 'how to subscribe' I assume this means I can have highlighted posts I have contributed to? Perhaps it's staring me in the face and I have missed it!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Incidentally, I'm moving this to the "Computer tips and how to use the discussion board" forum

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
As a user of several forums, I personally think the New Posts functions works just fine and in line with most forum software.

Certainly today when I had been offline for 36 hours I had 4 pages of New Posts - more than enough to get through. As with any forum it is up to the user to use it in a way that best suits them.

The Alzheimers forum software is not the best I have used, but TBH it is a long way from being the worst.

We are also blessed here with a set of mods who do there very best to support the forum and get posts put where they belong.

alex

Apr 10, 2006
I've noticed on busy nights that a post can move to the second page in under 3 hours......would it not be possible for the Main Page to hold more posts, say 50 instead of 25?

Regards Alex

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I usually use the 'New Posts' feature. Because of the time difference due to my location and my working hours, I normally have at least 2 pages of 'New Posts' to look at. I prefer to start with the oldest posts and work my way up to the newest ones. That way, I feel I don't miss anything.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Jancis you obviously have put a lot of thought into this, so well done.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that you might not fully appreciate that we are constrained by the forum software we use. We, like many other forums, use a software package called vbulletin. This is a package that allows us to make some changes with layout, colours and content but much of what you suggest would not be possible. The reason that we use this software is that it is robust (it is well tested and has very few bugs), it is quite flexible, and very secure. It is also, and this is perhaps one of the most important thing from the point of view of a charity, reasonably priced for what it is.

The sort of thing you envision would require a forum software package built from scratch which would inevitably cost millions and take many years of programing and testing.

I think the forum is excellent as forums go and of course appreciate that developments involve time and money. Having conducted some research over the weekend I understand that vBulletin is one of the best software packages available but, as with all templated systems, can be difficult to customise. Having said that, I am sure there is a possibility that customisation can be achieved in certain areas but it depends on the level of expertise available. As for creating a similar bespoke system from scratch, I think the comment that it would inevitably cost millions and take several years is a little exaggerated! If there are any aspects of members' suggestions that have been offered recently or in the past that would help but cannot be incorporated due to the software then the best bet would be to submit to vBulletin's wish list for consideration in future updates.

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Just a quick thought or 2, I think TP is amazing, moderators very caring and efficient and members very diverse, lovely people. I always use New Posts then I see all well, new posts, and then I can decide which I feel able to read and when I can offer support I do.

Tags, I don't understand and the forum About Talking Point Members is confusing, seems to have lots of different posts :confused:

I have noticed that quite often new members posts are not immediately replied to but once replies begin then more members add support.

Just a few thoughts, no thoughts on redesign. Been a member for about 10 months, never been on a forum before. Takes a while to get familiar with, but would have thought most forums do.