Those with multiple carer visits

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
It has been suggested that mum have three carer calls a day. She has two at present, one in the morning for breakfast and tablets and one at 7.45 pm for evening meal and tablets.

It has been noted that mum is agitated and confused in the evenings and I know this is correct.

The manager of the agency has suggested an earlier teatime call and then another one at bedtime. I can't decide whether this is a good idea or not or whether this would cause her agitation to increase.

Do others have a similar arrangement and if so how does it work? What does the bedtime carer do if mum is able to get herself ready, do they just prompt?

I'm always reluctant to change things because any routine changes tend to make things worse for mum but obviously I don't know what will work until it's tried!

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Hi

My mum has 4 visits a day to supervise her medication, her pre bed-time tablet is very important. We are happy that the half hour visit at 9:15 enables the carers to sit and have a cup of tea with her and chat. They don't put her to bed or help her get ready for bed (yet) and she enjoys the company. They do remind her that it is bed-time and ensure that she locks the front door when they leave. As it is, it is still another 12 hours before the following day's first call, but most of that she spends asleep. The carers do such a good job with her that we certainly don't begrudge them a cup of tea and sit down at that time of night.

It sounds like your mum is sundowning, in which case extra visits could increase her agitation, but there's no harm in trying for a while, surely. It would give you a little more peace of mind if she settles with the new routine.

My best wishes to you x

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks Loveahug. That's what I was wondering, if they just pop in for a chat and a cup of tea which might help. I have wondered about sun downing and this certainly seems to have increased since the clocks went back and it gets darker earlier.

I've just had a chat with her and she sounds relaxed and calm. I told her it will go dark early because it's winter and she totally understands that. But everything changes when it does actually go dark. I asked how she would feel about another carer coming in the evening for a chat and she says she doesn't want to be treated like an old woman.

I just can't decide if it will be beneficial. I've asked that they visit earlier to prepare her evening meal (7.45 seems quite late) but that means she is alone even longer in the evening!

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan