Thoroughly fed up

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
I just need a short rant. Why are the government allowing a very large gathering of football fans at Old Trafford this evening,? It‘s up the road from Bolton where there is a new variant COVID surge. In, what seems like unfair contrast I’m only allowed to visit my husband twice a week for an hour in his care home, not allowed into his room or into the main home, and have to be accompanied by a ‘minder’? If the new variant takes hold across the country our visiting restrictions will be increased or stopped. It makes me mad! Sorry to rant ....But where is the logic?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
im sorry you cant see your husband as often as you should be able to. and no there is no logic to any of the rules. lets hope they dont decide on local lockdowns again. my husband is still at home but i wanted to sympathize with you. its not a fair world we are living in where some homes have opened up a bit and some are being excessively cautious

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
There doesnt seem to be any logic. Sometimes it seems to me that the only people given concessions are the people who lobby hardest or the ones who shout loudest ?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Similar problem here. Our dawn Anzac Day service was cancelled because of Covid but they allowed 78,000 people to attend anAustralian Rules Football match that same afternoon.

We are being told that our borders will remain closed until next year on the basis of medical advice. It seems that this so called medical advice is different depending on political expediency and whose pocket it suits.

I can only travel within Australia or to NZ but our politicians, tennis players, cricketers, film stars etc seem to be able to come and go as they please.

I agree. -. Where is the logic?

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
The only logic is financial I'm afraid, which in a sense as prolonged this whole pandemic. It is very unfair. x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
rant away @None the Wiser
I appreciate that sport is a big part of some people's life but haven't understood the 'justifications' for some of the breaking of restrictions we're all supposed to be keeping to
that grown men can't control themselves enough to keep their celebrations on the football pitch to 'non contact' bewilders me, and managers 'justify' their actions (so much for role models) .... when a visit to someone in residential care had to be conducted with a barrier between and, so very sadly, many did not get to hold the hand of a dying loved one
we do all feel the need to return to life as it was .... let's hope the actions of the careful, cautious ones among us ensure we can overcome whatever coronavirus throws our way

Pepp3r

May 22, 2020
Hi @None the Wiser , like @Elle3 I believe the only logic is financial! My brother works in the construction business and there have been very little restrictions since last year . Sites have been open to all trades, hardly any social distancing , agency workers from up north and down south can happily work together, some foreign agency workers were able to go home over the Easter holiday and straight back on site when they returned! You would be surprised who invests in property companies and how the restrictions are overlooked. Yet you try and see your loved ones and there is miles of red tape to get through ! ......my rant over x

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
Hi @None the Wiser , like @Elle3 I believe the only logic is financial! My brother works in the construction business and there have been very little restrictions since last year . Sites have been open to all trades, hardly any social distancing , agency workers from up north and down south can happily work together, some foreign agency workers were able to go home over the Easter holiday and straight back on site when they returned! You would be surprised who invests in property companies and how the restrictions are overlooked. Yet you try and see your loved ones and there is miles of red tape to get through ! ......my rant over x
Thanks for ranting with me @Pepp3r. You’re undoubtedly right about the money. Interesting to hear about the construction industry. I’m not surprised. Someone chastised me today for blaming the government as they said it wasn’t up to the government it was up to individual care homes how they choose to manage to keep people safe. It just seems so wrong that we’re still having to jump through hoops when others appear to be free of restrictions.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Totally understand your rant. Mum’s care home is in a high rate area and to be fair at the moment the home are continuing to allow visiting but asking that relatives to avoid the big town at the centre of the area if they can. The Manager wants to keep the Home open but is concerned that local public health might over rule and stop visits if they get an outbreak.
as others have said it is all financial - I am not a football fan but look at all the coverage and intervention that took place when those English clubs were going to join a super league.
Apologies if you have already tried but can you try and get ECG visitor status so you could see your husband more

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
Agree with you all. Hugging allowed but not for us visiting our loved ones. Never mind the staff who work at the units. They can go attend the football matches, go to restaurants, go travelling then come back to work to care for my husband, cut his hair, help him eat etc. But oh no, I cannot touch, and need to be strictly supervised, and this visit takes place in the main corridor!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Agree with you all. Hugging allowed but not for us visiting our loved ones. Never mind the staff who work at the units. They can go attend the football matches, go to restaurants, go travelling then come back to work to care for my husband, cut his hair, help him eat etc. But oh no, I cannot touch, and need to be strictly supervised, and this visit takes place in the main corridor!
So we have a new cluster here in Victoria and no prizes for guessing that some people who have tested positive to Covid have been going to the football, in different stadiums . It is the Indian strain of the virus so highly infectious and we are now waiting to hear about another lockdown. Our vaccinations program has been a disaster but we are grateful to have at least had our first jab.

People have become very complacent because life here has been almost normal but it beggars belief that thousands of people can hang out in close contact for hours with lots of enthusiastic cheering. It angers me that governments have double standards and pander to those who can wield influence when ordinary people like us must abide by a different set of rules.

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
It angers me that governments have double standards and pander to those who can wield influence when ordinary people like us must abide by a different set of rules.
I agree, I get the impression by some that we should not complain and be feeling grateful for so-called visits. But surely others should understand that those who have loved ones in care homes are the ones who are especially careful and the last ones who would put our relatives at risk. It is tough for everyone and the last thing we want is for homes to be closed because of something we potentially have brought into the home.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
So now we are back in lockdown and it has just been announced that some of us are going to be that way for another week. We live in regional Victoria and as there are no cases outside Melbourne, we may have our restrictions eased a little earlier.

So while we are not allowed to travel more than five kilometres from home, a Melbourne based Australian Rules Football team is flying to Adelaide to play a game that had originally been set to be played as a home round.

People have had to cancel weddings and cut numbers at funerals but if you play football? The world has gone crazy.