This weekend

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
This weekend I see that the Daily........... has a supplement full of diets, brain training exercise to prevent dementia. Advert was on tv. This is FYI only, as personally I wouldn't line a parrots cage with this paper.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I've just seen a TV ad for it. They are calling it The Alzheimer's solution - as if Alzheimer's is the only form of dementia. There might be some good general tips in there as to how to keep fit and healthy but as for it helping to prevent dementia - that's a bogus claim. I too don't touch that paper with a barge pole anymore.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
I feel it's victim blaming, and how much guilt it causes in our loved ones I don't know, must admit my dad (who has az) his diet was a cardiologist dream, full fat milk, double cream, butter, meat twice a day, at least he enjoyed life (cardiologist would be redundant if we all obeyed the "current " diet fads)

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
I'm also dubious about this. My mum developed Alzheimer's a year ago at 92 despite always having loads of interests, keeping busy and eating a mostly healthy diet. She was neither a smoker or a drinker and cycled till she was well in her 60s and did her garden until the last couple of years. She was a very good cook and all our food was made from scratch with veg, salad and fruit grown by my Dad.

To be honest when I was a little girl I remember lots of elderly people like neighbours and relatives who were forgetful and confused and we just accepted that was the way they were and put it down to their age whereas now they would be diagnosed with Dementia I suppose.

My feeling is that it's just your bad luck if you develop dementia and I don't think diet makes any difference.