1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

This was supposed to be a good message

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Blue_Gremlin, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Blue_Gremlin

Blue_Gremlin Registered User

Mar 15, 2006
    Morecambe, UK
    This was supposed to be a nice message about how everything is getting on track with my husband's grandmother. Her first home help visit went well (and am hoping today was the same). I was really pleased about this and felt everything was starting to get better. However, today my husband has been made redundant from his job. I have no idea how we are going to manage our finances/mortgage let alone what job he will be forced to take and therefore how little time we will have free to spend helping and dealing with Jean.

Why is it that whenever you think things are on the up everything comes crashing down???? :(

Sorry for the complaint, just needed someone to vent on :(

Blue_Gremlin

2. Kathleen

Kathleen Registered User

Mar 12, 2005
    West Sussex
    Hello

I am so sorry you have had bad news today, been there, done that got the t-shirt.

Having been through this ourselves, we found that no matter what our financial worries were, being totally up front with the mortgage company and bank helped a lot. We also paid monthly direct debits for gas, electricity, car insurance and phone etc.

Not much consolation, I know, but all the people I know that this has happened to have ended up doing other jobs that they enjoy, even if the pay was less than they were used to. It is also a time when you find out who your real friends are.

I have never been a particularly lucky person, we seem to lurch from one problem to another,so much so that one of my daughters gave me a key ring that sums me up, it reads "Smile, it kills time between disasters."

I sincerely hope your husband soon finds work he enjoys and you can get financially back on track, money worries really grind you down.

Very best wishes to you all.

Kathleen

3. DickG

DickG Registered User

Feb 26, 2006
    Stow-on-the-Wold
    Hi Blue Gremlin

Sorry to hear the news and I am afraid that I haven't been there so I can't imagine how you feel.

A famous foolball manager once said " as soon as one door closes another one slams in your face", I guess thats how you are feeling right now.

My thoughts are with you.

Hugs

Dick

4. May

May Registered User

Oct 15, 2005
    Yorkshire
    Blue Gremlin

What rotten news! Last thing you need is to be worrying about is the finances :( Hope that you get something on the upside of the scale ASAP! take care

5. Tender Face

Tender Face Account Closed

Mar 14, 2006
    NW England
    Blue Gremlin,

So sorry about your news. If you have seen my 'grumblings' elsewhere you will know that you are not alone in terms of 'one thing after another'. Doesn't help much, but somehow I KNOW you will come through. Money and mortgages are small fry compared to loving and caring for family... you and hubby are doing the most important - if not financially rewarded - 'job'.

Does this give you (both) some time to take a deep breath? Can you see ways to use it to your advantage - even if that is just giving yourselves a few days' space?

Thinking of you, love, Tender Face

PS: Need cheering up? (Even a tiny-weeny smile?) Challenge Dick to which famous football manager he has in his part of the world!!!!!;) :D

6. DickG

DickG Registered User

Feb 26, 2006
    Stow-on-the-Wold
    Tender Face

Tommy Dougherty, soccer manager in the 70s.

Hugs

Dick

7. Tender Face

Mar 14, 2006
    NW England
    Ah, Dick! Now we are talking! The 'Doc' - in the days when I drooled over the Greenhoffs and David (suber-sub) McCreery, Pancho and Alex..... and they think 'Beckham-mania' is something new!:D

Thinking of you, Blue Gremlin!

8. Blue_Gremlin

Blue_Gremlin Registered User

Mar 15, 2006
    Morecambe, UK
    There isn't a bit of that I understand!!!!!!!

Blue_Gremlin :)

9. Tender Face

Mar 14, 2006
    NW England
    Sorry, Blue Gremlin - I just went to 'football heaven' there for a moment! 1970s/80s dad and I had season tickets for Old Trafford (football not cricket). Names I mentioned were some of my first football idols! (And some of my best memories of times with dad!)

I guess you're not building up to 'World Cup' fever then? :)

Hope you and hubby are keeping positive….

Hugs, Tender Face