This too shall pass

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
It seems so many of you are going through a tough time. I can't quite believe that three of you have had car prangs in a couple of days, what a coincidence.

Sad to read about the lovely johnpatcarl, RIP to him.

Can only send virtual hugs but wish they were real.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I had so many little prangs in the car, none of them serious and all of them because of the state of my mind when struggling with caring both at home and later when visiting the care home. It also didn't help that I'd been driving in Spain for 18 years on the opposite side of the road.

I never had three full years prang free whilst husband was so ill. .Friends and relatives boasted about their low premiums and how many years they had had a no claims bonus especially women friends who very rarely drove because they had husbands doing the driving!

I'm now coming up to three years since Ken died and am prang free (so far). Perhaps at last I might get some reduction in my premiums.

xxTinaT

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I hope you do Tina.
I'm just hoping to get through the next 3 years without any sort of claim as my NCD only allows for 2 claims in 5 years - used to be 3 but like everything these days it's stricter - and I had a prang this time last year too. I think this might mean a lot walking! Better find my bus pass too!

I'm not sure why I bother with reversing sensors as, although they seems to recognise unimportant things which are no threat at all, other vehicles seem to be completely overlooked!

Thanks Soobee. I really should start to think seriously about hibernating next year.
A grateful virtual hug back to you too. x

p.s. if you come to the Christmas lunch, I can give you a real one!

Last edited:

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
For the first time ever I reversed into someone's car yesterday - no damage but he wasn't happy. I had just come from Mum's and was worrying about her not recognising her next door neighbour whom she has known for years. I also had asked her who I was - she knew my unmarried name but didn't seem to be aware of our relationship. Must stop fretting about all this though and concentrate a bit more..

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I hope you do Tina.
I'm just hoping to get through the next 3 years without any sort of claim as my NCD only allows for 2 claims in 5 years - used to be 3 but like everything these days it's stricter - and I had a prang this time last year too. I think this might mean a lot walking! Better find my bus pass too!

I'm not sure why I bother with reversing sensors as, although they seems to recognise unimportant things which are no threat at all, other vehicles seem to be completely overlooked!

Thanks Soobee. I really should start to think seriously about hibernating next year.
A grateful virtual hug back to you too. x

p.s. if you come to the Christmas lunch, I can give you a real one!

Saffie, perhaps you could get someone to stand by while you do a 'test' of the sensors on your car?
Might they be faulty? Then again, there is a difference between reversing knowing there's something there, and reversing in the belief that there isn't anything there! Maybe you were too quick for the sensors to warn you, but it may be worth checking them to see that they do what they are supposed to.
Just a thought.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Talking of car prangs, In heavy rain and completely overwhelmed with Mum Problems, I went back into another car as I was getting out of a parking space. I got out and was terribly apologetic, there was a small mark on the other car. My heart really sank, I just felt I didn't have the time or energy for dealing with an insurance claim or whatever.

An elderly chap got out of the other car and said 'Look, it doesn't look like serious damage, let's not worry about it, it's only a car and there are far more important things to worry about in the world'. Omg I could have hugged this man, I will never forget this small act of kindness in just letting it go. Here was someone in the world who understood what was not worth worrying about. To this day I appreciate that gesture so much, at a time when my world was really crumbling.:) I hope one day I will treat someone else with that kindness if something similar happens to me.