This time last year

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry, I disappeared over the course of last summer.
Next Monday marks one year since my partner went into hospital to spend her final 5 days. I visited her in her care home for the first time in nearly 4 weeks due to Covid restrictions. The doctor phoned me while on care call as I had decided to work in care after she went into a so-called care home, and that was the worst day of my life until the last day of her life. I called the care co-ordinator to ask for some time off in the afternoon as I was in no fit state to look after other people while I worked out what on earth was going on. All the doc said was Christel has a day, a week. a month to live and there was nothing they could do. The next client's key safe was a right scunner to operate until I finally worked out how to operate these things. Standing in a client's kitchen being given the bad news while trying to make sure they have the right medication and a breakfast she will accept was hard work. The client had dementia she would not accept.
I spent 5 days in that hospital watching Christel dying in front of me. Her daughter makes a lot of the time a day and a half before her final demise of the moment she clasped my had with both of her hands. That was the first time in months she had actually reached out to let anyone touch her due to an ongoing skin complaint. It was also the first time she had used her left hand voluntarily since her stroke 9 years earlier. Well, maybe not literally, but I hope you get the idea.
Now we are at the stage where we can put down a grave stone after having a temporary wooden cross for nearly 11 months. I put down some pebbles to brighten the plot, but am told that messes up the maintenance crews when they try to cut the grass. Fair enough, but another visit and my best intentions gone to pot.
A friend told me last night his dad is reluctant to get help and to seek a dementia diagnosis. C never quite accepted her diagnosis, so that is something that looks familiar. I hope he finds this forum and all the lovely people who helped me over the years are doing as well as can be expected.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh my goodness @nae sporran What a shock to read this post.

There are no words to express my grief for you. I know how much you adored Christel and how distraught you will be losing her in that way.

But she knew you till the end which surely warmed your heart

Deepest sympathy and sincere condolences

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @nae sporran , its good to hear from you again, although Im sorry about Crystal. Watching someone die from dementia is harrowing, although the way she clasped your hand is a moment to treasure.

I hope you can get the gravestone organised and in place soon, it may give a sense of completeness
xxx

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i wondered what you were doing. we both have the age gap in common but im glad she reached for your hand. the love and bond you shared, i hope, will stay with you.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
So sad to read this but your love for Christel and hers for you shines through.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Good to hear from you @nae sporran but a sad reminder too. It doesn't seem like a year ago that you went through such heartbreak while doing everything for Christel. I hope that you have found some time for yourself and treasured memories of the good times you had together.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @nae sporran good to hear from you but sorry to hear about what you have been through. Anniversaries like this are never easy but I hope that you have good support from friends and family, and can take comfort in the love and good memories that you and Christel shared.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
It's good to hear from you again @nae sporran - I know how hard it must be for you to now look back, almost a year on, to those final days.

I hope Christel's gravestone gets sorted soon, it will bring a sense of comfort once you have it just as you wish.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
So good to see you here again @nae sporran. I’m glad you’ve shared with us. It’s hard to believe that a year has passed. As always your love for Christel shines through. It was a privilege to meet her with you on our TP get together in Bath. Such a lovely lady.

Wishing you strength.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thank you for your kind replies.

I'm so pleased that you remembered Christel fondly from meeting her in Bath 5 or 6 years ago @Izzy.

I don’t know if you have this photo, which includes you and Christel with the group in Bath. I’ve attached it in case you don’t.

7B844010-822E-4B34-9E8F-986E56088871.jpeg

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan