This time last week

Yorkshire Girl

Jul 16, 2014
I'm a very occasional poster and frequent reader who is getting great help from this forum as I watch and try to help as my mum moves from mild to moderate Alzeheimer's disease.

This time last week the family was all gathering at my mum's house ready to celebrate her 85th birthday. She had a lovely day, with all her favourite treats and the icing on the cake was the announcement that a new great grandchild is on the way.

And now she is lying unconscious in the hospital having had a massive stroke at some point last night. The doctors are talking about end of life care and I am sitting here thinking I don't know what.

Bless her, she looked comfortable (who knew you could snore when unconscious) and is it so wrong of me to hope that she doesn't wake up? She has/had a reasonable quality of life but things were slowly going down hill and if she were to regain consciousness I think her quality of life would be dreadful.

Not sure why I'm posting other than it is 3 in the morning, my mind won't switch off, and my lovely husband is fast asleep upstairs and I don't want to disturb him. I just hope my mum is sleeping peacefully right now.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I am so sorry, this is such a difficult time for you.
I too understand completely. It is the greatest kindness you wish for your Dear Mum, please have no doubt or guilt about that.

Thinking of you
XXX

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read about your mum. I'm glad she had that lovely family party before she became ill.

Wishing her peace and you strength. x

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Bless her, she looked comfortable (who knew you could snore when unconscious) and is it so wrong of me to hope that she doesn't wake up? She has/had a reasonable quality of life but things were slowly going down hill and if she were to regain consciousness I think her quality of life would be dreadful.

No, it's not wrong. I'm sorry you are having to face this dreadful time, but it may be the kindest thing to allow nature to take its course.

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
I do feel for you as my mum had a stroke in her sleep last year in hospital. Whilst I still wanted to have 'hope' she had cancer so at least she didn't have to suffer worse as was already not eating.

I feel so sad about my mum but all we can do is try and be strong.

Hope you are ok.

Reds

Rosie7

Oct 30, 2014
I'm a very occasional poster and frequent reader who is getting great help from this forum as I watch and try to help as my mum moves from mild to moderate Alzeheimer's disease.

This time last week the family was all gathering at my mum's house ready to celebrate her 85th birthday. She had a lovely day, with all her favourite treats and the icing on the cake was the announcement that a new great grandchild is on the way.

And now she is lying unconscious in the hospital having had a massive stroke at some point last night. The doctors are talking about end of life care and I am sitting here thinking I don't know what.

Not sure why I'm posting other than it is 3 in the morning, my mind won't switch off, and my lovely husband is fast asleep upstairs and I don't want to disturb him. I just hope my mum is sleeping peacefully right now.

I know exactly how you feel. My dad is in early to middle stage Alzheimer's at moment and isn't too bad but I watch my Mum die with late stage VD and really hope Dad doesn't have to suffer that. Thinking of you xx

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
I heart and hand goes out to you, don't feel guilty, I would just hope that if she does go in her sleep then it will be painless and she will be free.

TDA

Mar 3, 2015
Can only echo what others have said - in my darker moments I too hope my mum will just die in her sleep - to lessen the suffering.

Take care.

CynthsDaugh

May 5, 2015
Salford, Lancashire
Difficult, but I do know how you feel and it isn't wrong for you not to want your Mum to suffer. As a teenager I watched my Grandad slowly leave us (he lived with us from when I was three and more my Dad than my actual Dad) and like another poster I sometimes think I don't want my Mum (early mid stage) to have to go through that.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
I've said that for a couple of years....then feel guilty when mum has a good day.

I hope your mum slips peacefully away . No more pain. No more distress.

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
My mum has said on few occasions that she wishes she could be put to sleep like you would do for an animal that is suffering

Yorkshire Girl

Jul 16, 2014
Thank you all for your kind words and support.

I am sad but relieved to say that my mum died this afternoon. Although it is a shock at the moment I know that it was absolutely the best thing that could have happened. She never regained consciousness and was kept comfortable and dignified throughout.

Thank you so much for this forum, it has been such a source of knowledge, support and comfort. I hope one day I will be able to work out a way to repay the kindness and help that is so freely given on here xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read your news. Sending my condolences.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I am sorry to hear your news Yorkshire Girl, but it's good to know that your mum was kept comfortable and peaceful.

How lovely that she celebrated her birthday with her family and heard the great news about the baby.

Wishing you strength in the days ahead.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976