This time it's for real

CarolandVic

May 1, 2020
Vic is still in hospital. It has been a non stop roller coaster of emotions. He has been having seizures for weeks now. Today I have been told that he is not eating or drinking and is 'very sleepy'. He is on IV fluids and paracetamol but that is all. I have now been asked to go in for a meeting with doctors, matron and nurses on Wednesday. I think I know what that means. My sons will be with me. I so hoped that he would go quickly at home when the time came but it's not to be that way. I just want him to be at peace.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
So sorry @CarolandVic I think that is what we all want, a peaceful ending. It has certainly been a traumatic time for you but I am glad that you have your sons to be with you.

I hope that Vic finds peace soon so that you can feel peace yourself. Sending strength and a big hug.

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
Vic is still in hospital. It has been a non stop roller coaster of emotions. He has been having seizures for weeks now. Today I have been told that he is not eating or drinking and is 'very sleepy'. He is on IV fluids and paracetamol but that is all. I have now been asked to go in for a meeting with doctors, matron and nurses on Wednesday. I think I know what that means. My sons will be with me. I so hoped that he would go quickly at home when the time came but it's not to be that way. I just want him to be at peace.
I'm thinking of you @ Carolandvic, I pray you are able to stay strong and have your family with you if it's allowed, and be able to give him lots of hugs and kisses. I'm still feeling so so sad that I couldn't do that in Brian's last days. Sending you virtual hugs

Last edited:

CarolandVic

May 1, 2020
Just back from a meeting with the hospital team caring for Vic. He is in stage 8/9 of frailty. He is coming home on a fast track discharge. That means carers, district nurse, hospital bed have to be arranged within 48 hours. He is not eating or drinking but is on IV fluids. That will stop when he is discharged. The mri scan revealed massive damage to both sides of his brain from repeated mini strokes and seizures. Although it is possible he will improve a little in his home setting he will not go back to a level 7 which he was at before he was admitted a month ago. I am trying to be practical and not totally break down but it is hard. I have at last had answers to questions I've been asking for the last five years. I've been told today that post stroke seizures are difficult to control or even understand. They are working in the dark so don't know how to prevent them. They are coming from a brain that has it's wiring messed up. This has all led to vascular dementia. Our journey is nearing the end but I wish all of you going through the same journey will enjoy every minute with your loved one that time allows.

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
Feel so sad for you, but glad that Vic can be at home with you, and that you’ll have a team around to help.
Thinking of you.

CarolandVic

May 1, 2020
Thank you everyone for your caring thoughts. Vic came out of hospital on Tuesday. It took longer than hoped to get a care package in place. I am now sitting by his bedside, holding his hand, talking to him and playing his favourite music. I am so glad that we have been able to have these final days together. The grandchildren came yesterday to give Granddad a kiss even though he was asleep. I'm so glad they came then because tonight it is very distressing to hear him in his final hours. I hope he is still here in the morning when our sons will be back because they will be heartbroken if he's already gone. Our daughter is asleep in the other room but will come if I need her. I feel that these midnight hours belong to us two and we shall see them through together as we've done everything together for nearly fifty years. Good night all.

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
Thank you everyone for your caring thoughts. Vic came out of hospital on Tuesday. It took longer than hoped to get a care package in place. I am now sitting by his bedside, holding his hand, talking to him and playing his favourite music. I am so glad that we have been able to have these final days together. The grandchildren came yesterday to give Granddad a kiss even though he was asleep. I'm so glad they came then because tonight it is very distressing to hear him in his final hours. I hope he is still here in the morning when our sons will be back because they will be heartbroken if he's already gone. Our daughter is asleep in the other room but will come if I need her. I feel that these midnight hours belong to us two and we shall see them through together as we've done everything together for nearly fifty years. Good night all.
I'm sending you lots of virtual love n hugs at this devastatingly sad time @CarolandVic. My husband of 59 yrs passed away 7 weeks ago with vasculer dementia. I'm thinking of you and your family at this very sad time

CarolandVic

May 1, 2020
Vic passed away at 7 am. I was able to be with him right to the end and hold him in my arms. I feel very lucky to have had him at home.