This Time dementia ? you got t oh so wrong

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
THIS TIME DEMENTIA? YOU GOT IT OH SO WRONG !!

As I sat there in my chair mid-afternoon I had an incredible smell of soap powder (Washing powder they call it today ) filtering up my nostrils. I always joke with Elaine that I love Comfort on my clothing and can tell which is which by smelling my shirts but this was different, it was a very strong smell and one I recognised straight away and yet it was impossible???

I turned to see if Elaine was doing the washing but she was writing something down at the table and no washing machine was on (For a change LOL) Then I just sat back, sniffed once again, sat back, closed my eyes and I was transported back to my home town of Bolton, lancs UK, just off Seymour road actually and I was stood, once again outside of the ACDO washing powder factory. The smell was unmistakable and very comforting in a funny kind of way, because it was a part of my youth I remember so well. I used to deliver evening papers all around that area as a boy and have very happy memories of it, up and down Seymour road also doing the streets adjoining, running across Crompton way to Watermillock House (Now a Toby Inn) then back over through the streets by St Paul’s church and back to the shop on Blackburn road.

For just a few moments I was a boy again, for just a few moments I was so very happy, fit and nothing in the world to worry about. You see, now I have dementia, the Lewy body type, and have written about the awful things I see and hear which nobody else can, as well as the things I smell, but DEMENTIA?? BOY did you get it wrong this time I am happy to say, because the smell took me back to a place of safety, and a time when nothing could hurt me. I will never thank you for this Dementia as you have hurt me too many times, but I will smile for a very long time because you got it SO WRONG this time

Norrms Mc Namara aged 62

Diagnosed with Lewy Body’s Dementia

Please copy and paste and share away

Slats 1

Dec 27, 2020

As I sat there in my chair mid-afternoon I had an incredible smell of soap powder (Washing powder they call it today ) filtering up my nostrils. I always joke with Elaine that I love Comfort on my clothing and can tell which is which by smelling my shirts but this was different, it was a very strong smell and one I recognised straight away and yet it was impossible???

I turned to see if Elaine was doing the washing but she was writing something down at the table and no washing machine was on (For a change LOL) Then I just sat back, sniffed once again, sat back, closed my eyes and I was transported back to my home town of Bolton, lancs UK, just off Seymour road actually and I was stood, once again outside of the ACDO washing powder factory. The smell was unmistakable and very comforting in a funny kind of way, because it was a part of my youth I remember so well. I used to deliver evening papers all around that area as a boy and have very happy memories of it, up and down Seymour road also doing the streets adjoining, running across Crompton way to Watermillock House (Now a Toby Inn) then back over through the streets by St Paul’s church and back to the shop on Blackburn road.

For just a few moments I was a boy again, for just a few moments I was so very happy, fit and nothing in the world to worry about. You see, now I have dementia, the Lewy body type, and have written about the awful things I see and hear which nobody else can, as well as the things I smell, but DEMENTIA?? BOY did you get it wrong this time I am happy to say, because the smell took me back to a place of safety, and a time when nothing could hurt me. I will never thank you for this Dementia as you have hurt me too many times, but I will smile for a very long time because you got it SO WRONG this time

Norrms Mc Namara aged 62

That was beautiful. This is rick. That’s my world I hav vascular dementia. It don’t hurt. Just makes you empty and sad

1BooBoo12#

Jan 25, 2021

Norrms Mc Namara aged 62

Lovely story.