"This Morning", Valentine's Day

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Well done Bruce.

Just watched the programme on ITV, you looked so relaxed one would think you had been broadcasting all your life.

You also managed to get the plug in for TP, and a swipe at the lack of support for carers.

The clip of you and Jan brought tears to my eyes as did Angela with her Freddie.

We are all grateful for someone like you to speak up for us.

Cheers Barraf

carlamarie

Feb 14, 2005
Nottingham
RE: This Morning

To Brucie

I felt strongly compelled to write to you for your bravery and dedication shown on the This Morning programme this am. I was moved to tears with both yours and the other ladies account of living with dementia - showing both home support and support that can be given in Care Homes - GOOD care homes. Too often in my work Dementia is denied, unknown and an embarrasment to families and you portrayed that although painful and extremely difficult - there is hope and smiles that can also be had.

People with dementia can enrich peoples lives and it is desperatly needed to inform society that these people should not be shunned, automatically put away or to be ashamed of. With the right support and help you can get through the difficult times - as you have. I am so very proud and honoured to have watched the programme today and to see your dedication to your wife.

Thank you Brucie

Carla Moore

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Dear Brucie,What a hunk you are!congratulations are in order and i am sure your beloved Jan would be so proud of you has we all are,love storm

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Bruce, you are a 'star'. Could not believe I was watching daytime TV. Thought you were great. Thanks for getting the plug in for TP (it is such a lifeline)
Love to you and Jan, Connie

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
You were brilliant Braveheart, as expected.

And Angela was such a wonderful example of a caring wife doing anything for her beloved husband, what a lady!

I cried buckets. You're both heros

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London

Thanks to everyone for being so kind!

Storm - I think your spelling was a bit off..... not 'hunk' more 'hunch' as in 'hunchback', surely?

Here is a report on the day.

We were picked up by a car sent by the TV company. By "we" I mean me, and Nina. Nina was Jan's best friend when I first met the two of these wonderful Welsh girls, and has since saved me from the depths I hit two years after Jan was taken from me.

We arrived at the studios, and entered through a warehouse of bits of sets with tantalising labels like "Parkinson". Straight to the "Green Room" which is where people due to go on the programme sit and watch the bits they are not taking part in. Loads of Danish partries and tea, though I was not in eating mood, before the programme at least.

Angela, the other carer who appeared on the show, arrived and we introduced ourselves and did a quick compare of our stories. Angela is lovely, and is doing an amazing job, caring for her husband at home, under most difficult circumstances. Angela does not have the time to use TP, unfortunately, though her time may come!.

I was quite mad as we awaited our time on the show, to read the papers that were in the Green Room. None featured the Alzheimer's booklet, or any mention of the campaign. This is apparently normal for our press, which prefers much more frivolous fare - or is that the public?

We never got to meet the 'star' of the Valentine's Day show, Richard Gere, but in due course we were miked up and five minutes before our bit went out live, we were taken to the studio which was being set up for us.

Hannah, the lovely person from the Alzheimer's Society, whose idea the new "Love is Forever" was/is, and Nina came too, to stand behind the cameras as the show was broadcast.

Angela and I were introduced on the set to Michael Ball and Gloria Hunniford, who were compering the show, and then we were told "1 minute to airtime". So we had no time to be nervous!

After that I have no remembrance until we were off air; no idea of what they asked, or what I said. Always this way when I used to present at conferences, and the same now. Just cross fingers and pray!

Afterwards we waited in the Green Room [by now I was eating Danish pastries like there was no tomorrow, and my hands were shaking like crazy] until the end of the show so we could have a final chat with Michael and Gloria, plus photographs, then we were off.

I can't say how good Michael and Gloria were, how caring, and keen to help us put as much as possible across to the audience. They made us feel totally at home, albeit with a brief acquaintance of a couple of minutes, and it really was like being in a private house with them, not a busy TV studio. Michael promised me he would include the TP information and he ensured he did so, as well as to mention "Alzheimer's Society", which Hannah told us many shows/papers forget to do.

For those who already like Michael, I'd say that he is quite amazingly sensitive and caring. I admit that I kind of dismissed him before the show. No longer! He is a true 'star', in times when that term has become degraded. Lovely man.

[Gloria too, it is just that I feel bad to have under-rated Michael]

Hannah and her colleagues at the AS had done a magnificent job in enabling Angela and me to get this opportunity to give a glimpse of what we carers all do. I hope it does some good.

I provided 98 megabytes worth of photographs and two videos plus a multi page text description of our lives, Jan's, mine and Nina's. There was no time for the programme to use any of that, so I'll save them until another chance makes itself available.....

nikita

Jul 31, 2004
love is foreverr

i have just read the booklet its lovelt to be able to put faces to names ive ordered a copy and will put it on the notice board in grans home, my daughter and husband struggle with visiting but to me she is still gran no matter how bad she gets.

karen_white

Apr 21, 2004
Berkshire
Would have loved to have seen it!

I'm so gutted. I'm came home last night ready to watch your item and the video recorder went on the blink so I got the first 10 mins of this morning, but none of your item!! :(

I'm glad it went well and you were able to mention the society and TP.

karen.x

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Brucie,

Well done! It was frustrating being in Oz and not being able to watch you on TV but I hope that there will be copies available when I get home.

Jude

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix