This is how we manage!

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
I agree with you College girl I have told my sons the exactly same thing I don't want them to give up their lives to look after me and their dad always said the same before he got AD I tried to keep Chris at home for as long as possible it wasn't an easy decision to go down the Care home path no one has the right to judge us carers

Yes, this is exactly how I feel too.

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Right, so I'm supposed to look after my aged mother in my home?

Oh, hang on, My OH & I are considered elderly (67 & 71) , so presumably, our son should take us in + my 94 yr old mother.

His adult children can't afford their own homes, what with zero hour contracts & minimum wage.

Wonder if Mr Hunt is planning TARDIS houses as yet another nonsensical idea?

Ooh, and will the ill only be ill during the day, or will the Au pair have to have living accommodation too?

Lin x

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Right, so I'm supposed to look after my aged mother in my home?

Oh, hang on, My OH & I are considered elderly (67 & 71) , so presumably, our son should take us in + my 94 yr old mother.

His adult children can't afford their own homes, what with zero hour contracts & minimum wage.

Wonder if Mr Hunt is planning TARDIS houses as yet another nonsensical idea?

Ooh, and will the ill only be ill during the day, or will the Au pair have to have living accommodation too?

Lin x

Squeeze in a couple of spinster great-aunts while you're at it, why not?

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
At nearly 87, I suppose I shall soon have to accept the ‘elderly’ label. I shall not ‘go gentle into that good night’, and shall ‘burn and rave at the close of day’, deriving as much pleasure as I can from being a grumpy old git. I have no intention of moving in with either of my two offspring, even in the unlikely event that they would offer to have me! Perish the thought! And perish Mr. Hunt as well.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
gringo said:
deriving as much pleasure as I can from being a grumpy old git.

Ha ha! That put a smile on my face and believe me, I'm trying really hard NOT to smile today.

Perish the thought!
My views on the subject too, Gringo.

It isn't that I don't want to be a rock round my oldest son's neck...wicked part of me likes the idea of pay-back. (it's a joke but only half a one ;) )

No...it's that as MUCH as I love him...I'm always happy when he goes home and he skips off home as happy as a bairn on the way to an ice-cream van with a pocket full of pennies.

We like our own space, my son and I...apple of me eye didn't fall far from the tree.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Jeremy Hunt hasn't got a clue.Just got back from seeing my Dad who is 94 and has severe AD,a mental illness.He is doubly incontinent,not because he is old but because he is ill.He has hallucinations,not because he is old but because he is ill.He no longer recognises his family,not because he is old but because he is ill.He doesn't know that his son,his daughter and his wife are dead not because he old but because he is ill.He can no longer form a coherent sentence not because he is old but be cause he is ill.He has cancer which can't be treated because his other illness,AD,means he couldn't tolerate surgery or radiotherapy.And no,he does not live with his family but in nursing home because he is ill.As was my mother,whose funeral was yesterday and had several strokes.I have no doubt that the strain of looking after my Dad for so many years,was at least a contributory factor.If we accept what Mr Hunt says,that the state can't afford to look after the old and ill it will be only a matter of time till he tells us that the state can't afford to look after the ill full stop.Or the disabled.Or anyone else so lacking in 'self respect' that they can't work till they drop.I have a suggestion for Mr Hunt,if he admires China so much maybe he could do us a favour and go and live there.

Please please please send this post, just as it is, to the Daily Mail letters page!

Jeremy Hunt is a ********. Like so many who pontificate so piously about the elderly, he evidently hasn't a bloody clue about dementia.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Please please please send this post, just as it is, to the Daily Mail letters page!

Jeremy Hunt is a ********. Like so many who pontificate so piously about the elderly, he evidently hasn't a bloody clue about dementia.

I've done it!No expectation that they will publish but who knows!

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Hi everybody. Just seen an interesting article which explains how I and Mrs malomm manage, except we haven't got either badanti or moved in with children yet. We don't get any Local Authority or State help over and above a reasonably generous (505 eurines monthly) Attendance allowance. Forget your Admiral Nurses, and care assessments and respites and carers! Never thought I'd see the day when our Italian none system was considred better than the NHS.
keep smiling,
malomm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nies-grannies-State-doesn-t-look-elderly.html

Cor! You're braver than me, malomn. I saw this a few days ago and didn't have the guts to share it. Glad you did, tho'.

How does this geezer think that type of care is going to be paid for? Who supplies the minimum wage? How long for?

Is he completely out of his box?

:mad::mad::mad:

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
Cor! You're braver than me, malomn. I saw this a few days ago and didn't have the guts to share it. Glad you did, tho'.

How does this geezer think that type of care is going to be paid for? Who supplies the minimum wage? How long for?

Is he completely out of his box?

:mad::mad::mad:

Not being brave, just angry and indignant at the ignorance shown by the majority of politicians etc. where dementia is concerned-
keep smiling,
malomm

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Not being brave, just angry and indignant at the ignorance shown by the majority of politicians etc. where dementia is concerned-
keep smiling,
malomm

Notwithstanding, also, that our loved ones don't like strangers in their homes, and we have to all live with that fallout constantly...

Thinks these people who know it all should be put in a room with a recording of what caring looks like. All of it. No respite for them for six months! No leaving the room. Just made to watch. Then, they can comment!

Sorry Mal. I'm soapboxing :D

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I saw it too and was thinking ...someone's pinched that from TP!
Well done you! I thought it came across very well! :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alister