this is disgusting

KatieM

May 15, 2008
Essex
Hi All,
Haven't posted for a long time, apoloiges. To fill you in on the past 6 months - Dad's Vascular Dementia suddenly progressed after a bout of pneumonia. He lost the power of speach, is slightly incontinent and needs 24 hr care. My mum is losing her sight and is not well herself so we have found Dad a lovely dementia care registered residential home - and it is lovely. The carers are so patient, welcoming and dedicated.

Dad went into hospital on Friday night cos he's not eaten for 2 weeks. He is storing the food in his cheeks, hamster style, refusing to swallow. The carers at his home think it could be a comfort thing due to the upheavel of moving there. They sent him into hospital cos he was losing weight and needed re-hydration therapy. The GP's been useless and Dad's psychiatrist just suggested pureed food, which Dad still stored.
Tonight the hospital doctor came to see us and told us that because of Dad's "confusion" they wouldn't entertain any investigative tests because dementia patients don't "do very well". Apparently they "easily catch infections and just go" He went on to say that if they scanned Dad and discovered cancer they wouldn't treat him because the dementia means his "brain's gone" so there would be no point.

I was very good - I didn't punch the doctor. Instead I started talking about elevated white cell counts and pointed out that Dad's bloods had looked normal to me. When the doctor realised I have medical training his whole attitude changed and he began talking about a course of steroids and anti-depressant drugs that may raise Dad's appetite. He's also arranged an occupational therapist, a physiotherapist and a nutritionalist to come and see Dad while I'm there so Dad's not alarmed by so many new faces and also so that I can help with communication as Dad can't speak any more.

Why does everything have to be such a fight? And - this is what worries me more - what would have happened if I was a lay-man with no medical background? Do other people "just go" because these doctors decide they're not worth the hassle?

I just emailed the Prime Minister, telling him that his dementia care services care bill might face an unhill struggle if this is the attitude of the NHS.

Katie