This is crazy

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
My Mum is self-funding and when she could no longer stay in her Care Home, because she needed Nursing and Dementia care, the home helped us to transfer her into the Dementia section of a local Nursing Home. Fortunately, they decided she was borderline EMI and moved her into the Nursing part of the home, where people had more conversation.
I haven't had any contact with Social Services since last year when they assessed Mum in her own home. Someone from the PCT has assessed her Nursing needs for the Allowance. The NH sent a mental health nurse, who did an initial assessment with Mum, in her Care Home before she moved into the NH. The nursing team are continually reviewing medication and nursing needs.

nice

Aug 24, 2006
Helena said:
Actually she can be sectioned ,,,,,,,,Social services can section her as can the Police if she is wandering

Doctors dont want to section because they try to claim that Vacular Dementia is a medical condition not a mental one

Speak to the Legal Helpline girl on Alzheimers website number she will tell you how you can get her sectioned .........its needs the CPN or a consultant to be involved via Social Services

You will find all Dementia NH only admit via Social services

and yes your Mother and mine sound like twins

That's the thing really, it's the last thing I want to happen, it'd really affect her badly and compound her condition. I want to review all of the options and do all the lateral thinking possible to find a workable solution.

Helena

May 24, 2006
I agree thats what makes everything so incredibly difficult

However sooner or later thats what is likely to happen with the ones who are stubborn, cantakerous and independant ,argumentative types like your Mother and mine .

If only my Mother had taken advice 10 years ago and moved into a sheltered housing scenario she would not be in quite the same difficulty now

Equally if she was nearby it would be easier

I bet if either of them could actually see the way they have become they would want out

Dementia in all its forms is a b awful disease with no predictable end in sight unlike Cancer etc where at least you normally know about how long the suffering will be for all concerned

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
Dementia in all its forms is a b awful disease with no predictable end in sight unlike Cancer etc where at least you normally know about how long the suffering will be for all concerned

hi
i do agree that its a awfull disease,
but there are some sufferers like my mum, with a very progressive dementia.
she was diagnosed in february and they gave her twelve months at the most, believe me it dosent make it any easier knowing when the end is sight.
I know my mum is probably in a small minority of sufferers, and i take my hat off to all those who have to go on caring for years.
but the speed in which my mum is deterioating is heartbreaking to watch.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Donna,
It's never going to be easy - not when love is involved.
<<<HUG>>>
Love Helen

Helena

May 24, 2006
I am sorry Donna it must indeed be heart breaking

How old is your Mum ?

I guess I can look at things differently given my Mother is almost 90 although swears blind to everyone she is 100

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi helena,

my mums 65, and only developed dementia through brain damage due to lack of oxygen when she had a heart attack two years ago,

my nan lived to 92 she died a few years ago but she used to tell everyone how old she was she was so proud:)

Helena

May 24, 2006
I am sorry Donna ......sadly brain damage / personality damage after a heart attack is apparently quite common

I have a Neighbour from Hell who has developed even nastier personality after heart attack ......

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Helena said:
have to say he deserves to get Dementia whereas i am sure your Mum does not
Helena, please moderate the content of your posts!

Nobody deserves to get dementia or any other illness. It happens, that's all.

If you actually believe some of these things you say, then please keep them to yourself as they can do no possible good to anyone on TP.

Helena

May 24, 2006
Brucie

I like many other people am totally sick of seeing lovely people in this world struck down by nasty illnesses like dementia or cancer

While really nasty people who reek havoc on others lives including their neighbours get away scot free .

I doubt I am the only one to notice this sad state of affairs

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix