Thirsty but struggling to drink

Littlebear

Jan 6, 2017
Devon
My husband with FTD (NFPA - a variant which comes with speech & swallowing difficulties) seems suddenly today lost the ability to drink. He doesn’t seem able to get the liquid out of the cup/mug/glass into his mouth. Most of it is just going straight down his front. He’s had problems for a while. He’s still eating ok (soft diet) He’s obviously thirsty as he keeps trying to drink. Has anyone any suggestions? I’ve tried different size cups & glasses, a lidded cup & a straw all to no avail. I made him a thick smoothie & managed to get some of that into him & I’m giving him lots of grapes, cucumber etc but I am really worried. He’s just been treated for a UTI. I shall be on the phone to the GP first thing tomorrow but I know how quickly people can get dehydrated. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m sorry to hear of the problems your husband is facing just now @Littlebear. Do you have contact with a speech and language therapist (SALT). I’m sure they could make some suggestions or provide any different types of cup etc which might help.

Apologies if you have already had a conversation with SALT but if not please ask the GP if they can get a referral.

I’ve read about these but have no experience of them -

Littlebear

Jan 6, 2017
Devon
Thanks. I’ve left a message for the SALT team but I think it’s the OTs that advise on cups etc & I don’t have a referral to them - yet!!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I hope your conversation with the doctor is helpful and you get the referral. Things are possibly different where I live. Cups etc were provided by the SALT team for my husband but other items for the house etc by OT. Good luck.

Littlebear

Jan 6, 2017
Devon
Thankfully yesterday he was almost back to drinking normally but the SALT team have said to try a Nosey cup so I’ve ordered one to try. I just fear we are moving on to another stage but hopefully not.