Third UTI in 5 weeks, fifth in 3 months

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
After all the worry in April about my partner C having a UTI in April after 2 at the end of March she has another one. She woke up this morning not knowing who she is, where her family are and why she lives where we live. Her face looked a bit down on one side, so I called 999. The Ambulance people were so lovely and reassuring when they saw me not sure whether to be worried or guilty. The care worker stayed for an hour and a quarter, despite the allotted time being half an hour, and gave the paramedics more info than my addled brain could manage. She can be a nuisance sometimes as she comes at the wrong times and sometimes gets a bit bossy despite knowing C has dementia, but she is treasure.
The doctors suggested Oestrogen cream before changing that due to C having had breast cancer, so we may have to go back to low level preventative Anti Biotics which did work 6 years or so ago after 8 UTIs in 9 months or something like that sent her into a seizure.
Thanks for reading and if in doubt always check for a UTI and never worry about calling 999 as the ambulance service are so kind they wont let you feel guilty about over reacting.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
UTIs do seem to come in waves, don't they? I remember when my mother had 2 different ones at the same time so had 2 different antibiotics.

Yes, always checking for a UTI and never worrying about calling 999 is great advice.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
UTIs do seem to come in waves, don't they? I remember when my mother had 2 different ones at the same time so had 2 different antibiotics.

Yes, always checking for a UTI and never worrying about calling 999 is great advice.

That has to have been rough for your mother, Joanne. I always fear when this happens that C will have arepeat of the seizures that turned Vascular Dementia from a worry to a serious concern and I won't be allowed into hospital this time. On the other hand, as the paramedic said we have survived this much and will just have to find a way to get through whatever happens. I just wish I had his positive outlook. There goes that rollercoaster of emotions again. :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wonder if it`s a case of antibiotics becoming less effective @nae sporran so the infection never really clears.

I`m sure I`ve heard somewhere of low dose antibiotics being prescribed for permanent use but I`m not sure whether its good practice or not.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I know what you mean Sylvia @Grannie G, but C managed to go a few years with only a couple of UTIs before a TIA about 3 years ago and then seemed to have settled again for the past 2 or 3 years. It's all worth discussing with doctors on Monday, but will probably come down to persuading her to drink at least a litre and half of diluted apple or cranberry juice every day and that is a challenge I'm slowly running out of energy for even as it distresses and saddens me.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry @nae sporran . OH has had 6 hospital admissions for UTIs in 9 months (plus other infections treated at home). Its certainly a roller coaster. He is now one of those people getting prophylactic antibiotics (low dose antibiotics every day to prevent infection) and so far it seems to be working (touch wood, crossed fingers and everything). It might be worth while asking the GP about it again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson