Third Party Top Up Fees

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
i would be grateful for any advice. The time is nearing when my husband (Alzheimers) will probably need full time residential care. He has had a FABS Assessment and qualifies for part LA funding and some self funding. I have been to look at a Care home today and been given an application form. Reading through it states that a third party top up would be required. When his FABS assessment was done I asked if they wanted to see what money I had in my name. I was told no they couldn’t take my money into consideration, only my husband’s. The thing is I would be able to meet the top up fees but am told a spouse is not able to do this, but another family member or charitable organisation could if they agreed to this. Has anyone else been in this position and if so, how was it resolved?. Thanks

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If your husband had in excess of £23250 (assume England or NI) he would not get any assistance from the LA,
Between £23250 and £14250 there is tapering scale of assistance, this is where 'qualifies for part LA funding and some self funding.' comes in
Below £14250 the LA pay the full cost.

Any top up to any assessed self funding is always voluntary.
A spouse can pay this top.

See https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/top-up-fees.111041/#post-1564910

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@Diannie

I edited previous post to add more info.
You have logged on in time to read it before the edit.
New post because @ mentions in edits do not trigger an alert.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti