Third Party Mandate and EPO

nrr

Apr 17, 2007
London
I have spoken to my mum's bank and we agreed that we could create a third-party madate, whereby I would have access to her account, control direct debits etc. She would still retain her cheque book and have access to her accounts. I am going up to see her this coming week and take her to sign the forms.

I am also going to take up an EPO. My mum lives alone in rented accommodation. Would an EPO be strictly necessary as I will have joint control over her finances. I suspect the answer is yes, but I fear that signing an EPO may cause her unnecessary stress, particularly because she seems in denial about her situation.

Thanks, Nigel

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
I have not used my 'registered' EPA once because we have joint bank accounts and in France you can sign on behalf of your spouse. I am going to have to use it with a vengeance in months to come.....

I have a feeling that it is probably worth getting it but it does not have to be right now although certainly it has to be before she looses it completely...

Perhaps get her to sign it in a few weeks when she has forgotten about the bank signature.... Honestly in your situation I am not sure it is that important.

Michael

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Do make sure that, when you take her, you not only have ID for her, you have ID for YOU as well: that is proof of address and proof of identity - I ended up having to go back to the bank with my passport.

As to whether you should do the EPA at this time: I think probably yes. It is a lot less stressful than the bank thing, since it's one signature and you can do it in your own home, and I sometimes think that it's easier to do these things all together under the category of "sorting out the paperwork".