thinking you are somone else

merseyman

May 16, 2015
Can anyone tell me if they have the situation that I have. my OH really believes that when I get up to her in the night that I am my twin she really believes that I am trying to steal our savings and steal our home. She thinks I live in the loft with my family. The thing about this dilemma is I haven't got a twin in fact I haven't got a brother. Its so distressing when she is talking about you to you.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I frequently used to be mistaken for his carer, so you would get conversations like
Where's my wife
( no point saying I was his wife) she's had to go out so she left me in charge.
Oh, Will she be back?
She'll be back by her bedtime

It worked. If you can, just ride with it. There was no way at all during these times that he would accept that I actually was his wife, and I guess similar for you.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello mersyman, welcome to talking point, my hubby is just the same, he talks to me about his wife all the time, it is so distressing. I find it very difficult to cope with it, unfortunatly it is all part of the disease.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I used to find it quite chilling when I was asked where our guests were, especially as we never get visitors more than twice a year! Three times, at the most. I never knew how to respond. Surreal is how I remember those times.

Apparently, all those things which happen at home concerning dementia now never happen since my husband has been in care. The change in him is a complete 180. I'll never know how that was achieved.

I can only wish you strength and patience, merseyman.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hubby thinks I am a care worker who stays around longer that the carer who comes in the morning. Why do you stay so long? You're my wife? Well fancy that - no-one told me :confused: