Thinking of moving to Welshpool

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Hi, We live less than ten miles from the Welsh border, and are classed as self funding. We are considering moving to Welshpool, as the charge in Wales for home care is limited to £80 per week.
Has anyone any experience of the area regrading care support?

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Never heard of an £80 per week cap in Wales, are you sure?

Form the Welsh government site:
https://gov.wales/topics/health/socialcare/care/?lang=en

Wales has a higher proportion of people with lower financial means compared to the rest of the UK. We are introducing changes to the way people pay for care and support which takes this into account.

In 2011 we introduced a limit on the amount local authorities can charge a person for the care they receive at home or within the community.

The limit in place is currently £80 per week.

In 2016 we made a commitment to increase the amount of capital a person can keep without having to use this to pay for their residential care.

Capital includes savings, investments and the value of property you own, unless a partner, ex-partner or dependant relative will remain living in it.

The commitment is to uplift the amount from £24,000 to £50,000, introduced in a staged approach. The amount was raised to £40,000 from April 2018.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
That's interesting I only live about 8 miles from the border in North Shropshire.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Seems people are doing better living in Wales or Scotland then,I loved Scotland as that's were my mums from but I have a teenage son here in England so we couldn't move back,it's all too late now

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
I'm in Wem so you're not far from me.

I did hear though that while care was cheaper things like equipment were either not available or a long waiting list.

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
I am in South Wales and yes there is a financial cap but on the other hand support in other personal and emotional areas falls short of other regions. Be careful and take care. I do not want to send my husband to the daycare facilities that you can tap into on £80 p/w where we live. I still have to rely on private care support for him to receive the dedicated dementia support needed and as we all know this costs.

Last edited:

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Thanks @DennyD I understand all the points your raised regrading the level of care. We are in no-win situation, in Shropshire we are in the country - so getting any care support is difficult and all we do is argue the financial cost with Shropshire council. At least moving to Wales would remove the financial problems. Also the property we are renting is far from ideal for someone with dementia so we need to move at some point.

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
Thanks @DennyD I understand all the points your raised regrading the level of care. We are in no-win situation, in Shropshire we are in the country - so getting any care support is difficult and all we do is argue the financial cost with Shropshire council. At least moving to Wales would remove the financial problems. Also the property we are renting is far from ideal for someone with dementia so we need to move at some point.
hi Alex54, The support we receive from our Alzheimer's society's support worker has been exemplar. I have no doubt this is reflected elsewhere. As you point out finances are so often the barrier, and I am grateful of the cap, as we are grateful not to have to pay for prescriptions. It's just so sad to see that your loved one gets a label and may be put in an environment that is not suitable or positive to their well being because of funds. Wales has its magic to escape to! I wish you and your wife all the best for Christmas and the new year.