Thinking about moving care homes..dilemma

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am thrilled for you, Gigi, and also to hear that Eric has settled so quickly. I know what a relief it is especially as Mutti needs more help now.

Will you be able to walk Oscar over to see Eric?

Let us know how things go for you all. Best wishes

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Lovely to hear from so many old friends! Thankyou for your kind words.

It really is making a difference already..and Eric doesn't really seem to be any different! He's taking it in his stride, bless him..so maybe the move has happened at a good time in his dementia. He is so laid back just now!

Today he thought my face was more wrinkled than his..:eek: And needed ironing..:rolleyes::(

I'd gone out without make-up!

His only other concern was that his bed was too narrow for both of us..and he'd been so looking forward to going to bed with me!

Otherwise so far so good. the care staff are happy with him, his appetite is good and he looks well.

Love xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
He'll be 76 in October, Joanne! And how lovely that he still wanted to go to bed with me in spite of the fact that my face needs ironing..:D

Some items of clothing from his old care home seem to be missing..:rolleyes:

Tomorrow I'll buy him more pyjamas and socks..I've been told not to worry about naming them. If I take his name tapes in the laundry lady will stitch them in for me..:) that's a huge plus in my book..I hate stitching name tapes in.

Eric is also back with his old GP who has known him for years. Why I didn't think about doing this ages ago I'll never know.

But it's done now..and a huge weight is lifted from me.

Love xx

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Oh Gigi,

All sounds so good!

I have to say, it did make me smile when I read about your face maybe needing a bit of ironing...! It reminded me of a recent visit to my husband's Nana. Please don't take offense at this...but she turned 103 this week, and we were saying to our children how wonderful she looks for her age, (and she does! Really....her skin is amazing!). But my 11 year old son, like your lovely hubby thought that was an opening for a bit more honesty and said she'd look younger of she used wrinkle cream...! Eeeeek! Awkward!!!!!

Anyway, my point is that the simplicity and lack of certain inhibitions (or tact, we might say!) of an innocent child is as beautiful as that of some dementia sufferers. Many childlike virtues, in fact, and once we are able to accept them and even laugh at them, the better the experience.

Honestly, Gigi...I'm not comparing you to a 103 year old!!!!! :eek: Please believe me!!! I was just drawing on experience!!! :eek: :eek:

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Dear Gigi
Not been on for sometime but thought I had better dip in and see how my friends on here are doing. I am so glad the move went well and that Eric is settled and you have so much peace of mind now.

Love Julie xx