Thinking about moving care homes..dilemma

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Great news. So glad you have a good social worker.
No more 1 hour journey what a relief for you. I'm so excited for you xx

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Gigi,

I've only just found your thread and have read it right through.

From the beginning I was saying "Yes, do it, do it" and am so very glad to see that it is all happening for both Eric and you. A one hour drive at each end of your visits up to now must have been so tiring - and everything to be planned in advance.

With Eric only ten minutes away you will be able to pop in any time you feel like it and feel in much closer contact with him and with the staff.

Thank goodness for a helpful SW. I think they are like gold dust. I am so pleased for you that it is all working out.

Love, Nan XXX

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Gigi,
Oh how lovely that weight has been lifted off your shoulders.
I know exactly how you must feel.
xxxxxxxxx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
It's going to happen!!!

Yesterday I was waiting for the CH Manager to visit Eric to see if they could meet his needs. Didn't know when he was going to visit.

Today I've had a phone call from the SW to tell me that they're very happy to take Eric and he will be coming to a CH near me on June 11th.

It's all sorted apart from the paperwork but i've been assured that it will be made as stress free as possible for both of us.

WHOOPEE!!!!!!!

Forget Cloud 9..I'm on Cloud 109!! :)

Thanks to every one of you for listening and giving such positive encouragement. It's made such a difference.

Love xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Thankyou!

It will be such a relief to be able to pop in and see Eric on a daily basis and be part of his life again.

There probably will be teething troubles but at least I'm local and available..and prepared!

:)

Love xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Thanks Sylvia and Joanne,

Unfortunately there has to be a 4 week notice period but it does give me time to go down and get Eric's room ready!

SW will organise Eric's transfer..I won't risk taking him myself. It's a long journey for him and I don't trust him in the car. He used to pull on the handbrake and try to change gear whenever I drove him anywhere. I'll be there to meet him at this end.

The only thing she's not sure about is the transport of his furniture. She's looking into that but if SS can't arrange anything we'll use the man and van I used to empty mutti's house.

It's still sinking in that this is going to happen! And what good timing. Eric's older daughter and her husband will be over from Australia early July. It will be much easier for them to visit him here and they'll be able to spend a bit more time with him (hopefully!)

Love xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
This is really good news Gigi and I am very pleased for you. Hope it all goes as smoothly as possible. How is Eric?

Love

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Phew!!

Eric moved yesterday. I was there to meet him and although he was a bit bemused by the journey he didn't seem at all bothered about his new surroundings.

He's fine! He had a good night and was happy and settled when I saw him today.

It makes such a difference having him so near. I can nip out for an hour and be back again to see to mum.

Definitely the right thing to do. Thankyou everyone for your support over this.

I'll keep you posted about things.

Love xx

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Oh Gigi, what good news,
How wonderful for you both to be close by and have easy contact, I am so thrilled for you.
With kindest regards from Jo