Thinking about moving care homes..dilemma

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Thanks Sue..I intend to!

It's very unlikely that Eric's previous SW will be allocated. But i admit to feeling very burst bubblish after my conversation with her.

Early days. Everything crossed!

Love xx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Gigi, you can ask NOT to have this social worker. In fact this is something which all 'service users' have an entitlement to and you will be the 'service user' in that you are the legal representative in this case. So nil desperandum.

Phone them again tomorrow and ask to be assigned one A.S,.A.P and keep phoning until you know the name and have made contact.

Take care
xxTina

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Well that's a relief!

It has been registered as an ASAP case...that much i know.

I'll phone again tomorrow and keep phoning until we're allocated someone!

Thanks Tina and Joanne..:)

Love xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Keeping you posted!

Elderly Care/ Elderly Mental Health teams in this localityare undergoing a huge shake up..:(

I enquired today and Eric is on the ASAP list and still awaiting allocation. This could take some time..no-one can give me any more information.

Meanwhile I'm busy as Mutti's bungalow has finally sold ..:) Lots of practical things to do!

Love xx

Sandy70

Jan 19, 2012
Herts
Yes move him best for both of you.

My husband is only 10mins drive and I can come and go as I want, I find this is best for both of us. My mind is at rest about his care and as it only just over 3 months since he has been in the home it helps to fill the gap that has been left in my life.

I do not go every day as this is not a good idea, taking my little dog is very benificial not only to him but other residents. He will always relate to the dog and is pleased to see her.

So yes move him as long as you are happy with the home, that's my advise.

george w

Apr 12, 2011
herts
Trust your judgement

I think you would be doing the right thing by moving Eric. You say the new home looks good so hopefully if there are any problems they can be sorted out easily. Being near to him is the best thing for you and you really do have to consider your well being. The worry never goes away but to know he is so close will be a great comfort.

Unfortunately I lost my Mum 9 wks ago but her home was less than a 10 minute drive away so we visited every single day that she was there. Even though her care home was very good, being so close meant we could check on her as she did become very poorly. One telephone call and we could be there quickly. The thought of a long drive when you are so worried about them is awlful.

Be strong and do what you want. I am sure you will feel happier knowing he is close by. Nobody can judge your decision as only people who deal with Alzheimers know all the problems and thoughts that are constantly with you.

Take care xx

Fastwalker

Apr 27, 2010
Tyne and Wear
I moved my mum to a new home on the 12th February as I was unhappy with the previous home. She was a little upset at first but now she is better cared for, has better food and more activities and hasnt looked back. Her friends think it is lovely too. Another bonus is that I feel better too because I am no longer irritated by the shortcomings of the previous home so we have both won. I only wish I had moved my mum sooner.

The fact that the new home is much nearer will be a big bonus. I would go for it.

JuliaXX:D

Janeyjane

Aug 21, 2011
Northamptonshire, UK
My opinion

My husband is currently well cared for in a home which is almost an hour's drive away from me.
I'm satisfied with his care..but can only visit once a week at best because of the distance.

He is now very slow and confused..I realise that moving him may be detrimental to him and initially cause further confusion..but there is a vacancy at a good home which is local and at most a 10 minute drive from me.

I could even walk there if necessary.

Increasingly I feel that I want him nearer to me...if he was local I could certainly have more input and see him more often.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

xx
If you can spend more time with him - yes I would move him
He will hopefully benefit from your input into his daily life and you I am sure will feel like you have more involvement and that he is still a part of you.
Jane xxx

gill dix

Oct 11, 2009
East Yorks
Move

I have done this (with my father) and after a period where he seemed bemused, he soon settled. I am really thankful that he is near to me in truth and the whole experience is better for it.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Good News!

I had a phone call thisafternoon from our allocated SW..she's coming to see me tomorrow afternoon and wants to visit Eric with me later in the week! She sounded very understanding.

The local CH still has available room for him.

I hardly dare to hope..but hope I will and must!!!

Love xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
It's looking very hopeful...

SW visited me here on Wednesday and was very understanding.

We arranged to meet thisafternoon at Eric's CH so that she could do an assessment. It went so well...:)

After a few minutes of discussion with myself and Eric she turned to me and said.."We'll do this". So we were there for another hour while she filled in her paperwork and talked with the Senior carer on duty. ...it was a good visit with Eric too.

We have to give 4 weeks notice..I've notified the new CH that things are progressing so we just wait and see now.

A weight has been lifted from my shoulders!

Thanks to all of you for your support and I'll keep you posted.

Love xx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
What good news Gigi. I'm so pleased for you both. Isn't it nice to hear of a social worker who is helpful and cooperative. I hope when the move is over with, you will have many more happy visits together

Do let us know the next step.

xxTinaT

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Gigi, hi
I'm so pleased for you, what a change to your life this move will make, goodness it's lovely to hear how well the assessment went and your hard work is paying off, congratulations that woman!!!
Cheers, Jo

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
A good social worker is such a blessing. I'm really pleased and would add I moved my mum and although she was a bit unsettled for a week, she soon showed the benefits of being nearer me and having more visits.
Nice one. Hopefully you can relax a bit now and have a months breathing space before the move to get things organised, inform GP s and other health professionals and so on xx