Thinking about doing a VERY long sponsored walk

Megan101

Jun 26, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am possibly thinking about doing a sponsored walk from where I live to Plymouth which is where the cheques for donations to Alzheimer's society are posted to. It is a 200 mile walk so would definitely take about two weeks. I was just wondering if anyone here has done a walk on this scale before and if they have any advice for planning it. I would really appreciate!!!

Megan x

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi everyone,

I am possibly thinking about doing a sponsored walk from where I live to Plymouth which is where the cheques for donations to Alzheimer's society are posted to. It is a 200 mile walk so would definitely take about two weeks. I was just wondering if anyone here has done a walk on this scale before and if they have any advice for planning it. I would really appreciate!!!

Megan x
I once did a three week trek in the Himalayas. High altitude, deep gorges, sleeping in the snow and don't ask about the toilet arrangement.

Totally irrelevant for what you are planning but I say go for it. I guess you can prebook your accommodation but the most important thing you can do is have great footwear that you have used for a while to avoid blisters. And pack some of those blister packs that are very effective.. Good light weight wet weather gear and keep your pack light. Changes of undies and socks and don't get obsesed with needing clean jeans and shirts.

Would love to hear what your plans are. So nice to hear of a nice adventure.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi everyone,

Megan x
It sounds wonderful and no I have never done a walk like that but I would be up for it whatever the weather. Yes decent foot ware is all important. Waterproof boots for wet weather and comfy trainers types for dry weather. Good luck with it.

Megan101

Jun 26, 2020
I once did a three week trek in the Himalayas. High altitude, deep gorges, sleeping in the snow and don't ask about the toilet arrangement.

Totally irrelevant for what you are planning but I say go for it. I guess you can prebook your accommodation but the most important thing you can do is have great footwear that you have used for a while to avoid blisters. And pack some of those blister packs that are very effective.. Good light weight wet weather gear and keep your pack light. Changes of undies and socks and don't get obsesed with needing clean jeans and shirts.

Would love to hear what your plans are. So nice to hear of a nice adventure.
Wow that sounds amazing! Yes was thinking to do it perhaps this summer in August time so hopefully then it will be easier to book accommodation. I think after the year we have all had just wanted to do something predominantly outside hahah. I just need to find someone to do it with me!!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Megan101 welcome to DTP. If intending to undertake your own challenge to raise funds for the Alzheimer's Society this link will explain how you can get a free pack with useful hints & tips plus a free fundraising pack: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-i...r-own-fundraising/organise-your-own-challenge

If you want to join up with others there are also some treks already planned (subject to covid restrictions):

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Wow that sounds amazing! Yes was thinking to do it perhaps this summer in August time so hopefully then it will be easier to book accommodation. I think after the year we have all had just wanted to do something predominantly outside hahah. I just need to find someone to do it with me!!
It was an amazing trip but exhausting because of the altitude.

August should give you nice weather and if you are going to prebook accommodation, you might find it cheaper to use youth hostels. I have stayed in youth hostels all over Europe and they are mostly pretty good. Just read the reviews first.

If I was allowed to leave Australia, I would fly over and do it with you but I am sure you will find some adventurous soul to join you.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Pics of old pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 365
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 362
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 354

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@lawson I love the photo's and I have been trying to get to the Himalayas for years, it is top of my list and I will get there somehow. I love mountains and don't mind roughing it. I climbed mount Fuji some years ago and it was wonderful but very cold. As soon as I am allowed I will be there.

My trip to Switzerland this year has been cancelled but there is always next year.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Megan
Do you have a wide base of friends that are likely to sponsor you for a decent ammount of Money? Otherwise , are you going to end up with such as accomodation and food costing you more than you raise?

Even if you walked 25 miles in a day , you'd still need 8 nights- a significant cost

Megan101

Jun 26, 2020
Update!!! My dad and I have signed up to do the Trek26 in June in London!!! Super excited and also a bit nervous!!!

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
well done!!! honestly, i am very nervous for the 26 miles definitely need to train more!!!
I built up doing two walks a day of 2/3 miles each and twice a week did a four mile walk but didnt do full walk distance until the day as didnt want to find it was too hard for my aged legs lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976