Think it will all go away

Jolean

Oct 16, 2017
Th
Of course, you would be capable...but you are only one person...so could not possibly provide 24 hour care for any length of time. But that is worse case scenario...just make lots of enquiries before you sell the UK house. Sorry, none of my business. I’m sure you will do the right thing. All we can ever do is what we think is right.
Thank you so much. I don't know what I am heading in to. But I can only think if a mountain needs building then let's build it. Oh dear x

Jolean

Oct 16, 2017
Th
Of course, you would be capable...but you are only one person...so could not possibly provide 24 hour care for any length of time. But that is worse case scenario...just make lots of enquiries before you sell the UK house. Sorry, none of my business. I’m sure you will do the right thing. All we can ever do is what we think is right.
Thank you so much for your help, and i do appreciate all the advice you can give to me. I don't know what I am heading in to believe me. But I can only think if a mountain needs building then let's build it. Oh dear maybe one day I will eat my words x

Jolean

Oct 16, 2017
I can read between the lines that you are saying that this condition is not easily managed.
Don't be frightened to tell me the truth

Please x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Nothing is going to change overnight Jolean, so continue enjoying your life as long as he is able. Go on holidays, keep up your social life etc, but be prepared to cut him some slack as he starts to become less able. He will need more help to do things, and find it harder to learn new things, so you will find after a while that you will have to tailor what you do to his needs.
Eventually, you will need help, from a cleaner, a befriender or carers, through to maybe (but not inevitably) a care home. When you get to the stage of needing extra help, please dont feel guilty, and dont feel guilty at the thought this may happen. It might not be needed for a few years yet - depending on how quickly he progresses. Take each day at a time

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
H

Hello and thanks for your post . Could I ask how long is it since your wife was diagnosed with alzhimers/dementia and how are you coping?
My wife was diagnosed with MCI 18 months ago. Whilst I noticed a continuing deterioration it was on her next visit to the clinic 6 months ago that she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and possible Vascular Dementia. CT, MRI, and PET scans over the last 2 years have confirmed brain shrinkage in 2 areas and vascular damage.

My wife's main problems are in the areas of language, memory and cognition; and her minor problems are in the areas of delusion/hallucination. We are both early retirees so don't have to fit things around work and we are coping. Since the diagnosis we have been busy getting our affairs and home in order so we are quite stressed with all that on top of the diagnosis and all the fears and contact with services that that brings. However, we are going on holiday soon and the busy period will slow down so I hope to cope well going forward. I have also asked our CPN to refer my wife to a day centre so that we can both get some respite in the future. The DC has a long waiting list so I think she may get a place just when we need it. At the moment complex tasks are pretty well impossible for my wife but in daily living she functions quite well and still enjoys making a contribution to the team effort in relation to the easy things. It has been a physical and emotional roller coaster. I think one of the cruel things about an OH developing the disease is that the caring spouse is likely to be of an age when they too are slowing down but find themselves in a position of having to look after their OH almost 100% as well as cope with their own aging which may impinge on their health and the level of care they can provide.

At this stage we are happier as a couple than 1-2 years ago as I had thought that her 'problems' related to her as a person and we were getting fractious. Since the diagnosis I am aware that the disease is the problem and we are learning to live with that and have returned to our usual great relationship. Every cloud has a silver lining, eh!

Jolean

Oct 16, 2017
Nothing is going to change overnight Jolean, so continue enjoying your life as long as he is able. Go on holidays, keep up your social life etc, but be prepared to cut him some slack as he starts to become less able. He will need more help to do things, and find it harder to learn new things, so you will find after a while that you will have to tailor what you do to his needs.
Eventually, you will need help, from a cleaner, a befriender or carers, through to maybe (but not inevitably) a care home. When you get to the stage of needing extra help, please dont feel guilty, and dont feel guilty at the thought this may happen. It might not be needed for a few years yet - depending on how quickly he progresses. Take each day at a time
Thank you so much for your post, yes this is what we need to do, just step back a little and keep enjoying the things we like doing together instead of worrying about what might happen. In Spain even thou the support system is not there, like you have said there are people out there that are available to give a helping hand, even to the point that we could get in a live in carer, not that we are loaded, but we will ensure that we keep funds set aside for that rainy day, that is if there is a rainy day. Could I ask you , do you have a loved one that has been diagnosed with dementia/alzhiemers, and if this is the case how are you managing. Thank you for your positive advice.

Jolean

Oct 16, 2017
My wife was diagnosed with MCI 18 months ago. Whilst I noticed a continuing deterioration it was on her next visit to the clinic 6 months ago that she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and possible Vascular Dementia. CT, MRI, and PET scans over the last 2 years have confirmed brain shrinkage in 2 areas and vascular damage.

My wife's main problems are in the areas of language, memory and cognition; and her minor problems are in the areas of delusion/hallucination. We are both early retirees so don't have to fit things around work and we are coping. Since the diagnosis we have been busy getting our affairs and home in order so we are quite stressed with all that on top of the diagnosis and all the fears and contact with services that that brings. However, we are going on holiday soon and the busy period will slow down so I hope to cope well going forward. I have also asked our CPN to refer my wife to a day centre so that we can both get some respite in the future. The DC has a long waiting list so I think she may get a place just when we need it. At the moment complex tasks are pretty well impossible for my wife but in daily living she functions quite well and still enjoys making a contribution to the team effort in relation to the easy things. It has been a physical and emotional roller coaster. I think one of the cruel things about an OH developing the disease is that the caring spouse is likely to be of an age when they too are slowing down but find themselves in a position of having to look after their OH almost 100% as well as cope with their own aging which may impinge on their health and the level of care they can provide.

At this stage we are happier as a couple than 1-2 years ago as I had thought that her 'problems' related to her as a person and we were getting fractious. Since the diagnosis I am aware that the disease is the problem and we are learning to live with that and have returned to our usual great relationship. Every cloud has a silver lining, eh!

Thank you so much for your post and also providing me with the facts both dark times and positive times you and your wife have gone through. Am I right by saying initially your world was turned up side down and you went in to panic mode to try and sort things out, and then you realised that you can still enjoy your life with a few tweaks here and there. ? If you could turn back the clocks would you do the same, or take a different route. ?
So romantic hearing that you are now enjoying your relationship again as a married couple and enjoying what life has to offer. It does make me think that hearing the word dementia/alzhiemers is like putting a gun to your head, but it seems to me reading some of the posts that it does not need to be like that.
I do wish you and your wife a enjoyable journey together and a happy holiday awaits.
jolean

Jolean

Oct 16, 2017
Morning Jolean. One other thing you do need to be aware of is that, in Spain, the spouse (and children, if applicable) are responsible for the care and maintenance of somebody who requires care. In the UK, care is paid for only by the person receiving it.

http://www.alzheimer-europe.org/Policy-in-Practice2/Country-comparisons/2005-Home-care/Spain

http://www.alzheimer-europe.org/Pol...egal-capacity-and-proxy-decision-making/Spain
Many thanks for sourcing the information and the links you have provided. I found the information very informative and has given me a great deal of facts to the spanish support system. I have copied the links which I can always refer to as and when needed. We have been working and living in Spain for 17 years and we are more than happy with the support and also the medical treatment that my husband has received so far, so I can only hope it continues.
Can I ask if you also have a loved one with dementia/alzhiemers ? and if so how are you coping and what support are you receiving if any.

thanks you once again you have been more than helpful.

Jolean

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Thank you so much for your post and also providing me with the facts both dark times and positive times you and your wife have gone through. Am I right by saying initially your world was turned up side down and you went in to panic mode to try and sort things out, and then you realised that you can still enjoy your life with a few tweaks here and there. ? If you could turn back the clocks would you do the same, or take a different route. ?
So romantic hearing that you are now enjoying your relationship again as a married couple and enjoying what life has to offer. It does make me think that hearing the word dementia/alzhiemers is like putting a gun to your head, but it seems to me reading some of the posts that it does not need to be like that.
I do wish you and your wife a enjoyable journey together and a happy holiday awaits.
jolean
When she got her diagnosis my wife was distraught and cried for weeks - she even asked me to smother her with a pillow on the first day. I knew she had been getting worse so wasn't surprised by the diagnosis but it still hit me like a runaway train. We had travel plans spanning many months over each of the next few years so we realised that plans would have to change. We decided to move forward plans to renovate the house so that my wife could get used to things before she totally lost the capacity to cope with change (she is already struggling with that). We also had to sort out legal issues before she lost capacity. On top of all that we had people like a Language Therapist, an OT, a CPN and a dementia nurse visiting and Doctor, Consultant, and Hospital visits to attend over the summer giving help, altering meds., doing assessments etc. It was indeed too much in too short a time but I don't think we had any other option as we are about to leave Ireland for quite a long while.
From here on in things shouldn't be so frantic so I think we should be able to settle into a life similar to that that we had before, with the exception that travel plans will have to be altered and I will obviously have to take on even more personal care for my wife as the condition progresses. Obviously we can't put a time frame on things but I feel that my wife is doing well on the meds., and things are more of a nuisance and frustration than a serious burden, so we are trying to be positive about the future. I tell my wife that her Alzheimer's is like a journey through the alphabet and she hasn't even reached 'B' yet and this seems to give her a little hope.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Could I ask you , do you have a loved one that has been diagnosed with dementia/alzhiemers, and if this is the case how are you managing.
My mum had Alzheimers and my husband has Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD). Mum was in a care home for 3 years and died in April this year from the Alzheimers. At the same time, my husband was diagnosed with FTD, although he has had symptoms for much longer. Mum was living on her own and I could not support her as much as she needed because of my husband and mum refused to have any carers in. During that time I really was pulling my hair out as by this (mid) stage she was not washing, cooking, cleaning the house or anything really, but I could not do anything about it. She started getting into arguments with her nextdoor neighbours over the bins and then she started walking out at night dressed only in her nighty or dressing gown (not always fastened) and banging on the neighbours doors because she didnt know where she was. Eventually she had a TIA and was taken into hospital. Following this she went into a care home where she settled and thrived. She joined in the activities and enjoyed having people around all the time - night and day.

Im now caring for my husband who has a very different sort of dementia and the challenges are quite different. He is still at home and can wash, dress and feed himself, but I have employed a cleaner to give me a bit more time to help him and keep an eye on him. I have had to adapt my activities to reflect his abilities and I have had to take early retirement as he needed someone around more often.

The changes come generally quite slowly, so you sort of adapt with time, but the amount of care that anyone can provide is not limitless, so you have to be careful not to overstretch yourself and wear yourself out. Sharing the care is not an admission of failure.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Many thanks for sourcing the information and the links you have provided. I found the information very informative and has given me a great deal of facts to the spanish support system. I have copied the links which I can always refer to as and when needed. We have been working and living in Spain for 17 years and we are more than happy with the support and also the medical treatment that my husband has received so far, so I can only hope it continues.
Can I ask if you also have a loved one with dementia/alzhiemers ? and if so how are you coping and what support are you receiving if any.

thanks you once again you have been more than helpful.

Jolean

Hi @Jolean. My Mother had Alzheimer's and I was her carer for a while before she moved in to a Nursing Home here in Ireland. (I had to move her from the UK to live with me). She passed away in June at the age of 80 so she hadn't done bad!

I lived in Spain for a decade myself (I left in 2012) so that's why your own situation was of interest to me. I had private medical insurance but never had cause to use any medical services anyway (fortunately!). From friends' experiences though, I do know that the burden of care falls to family, even in hospital.

Jolean

Oct 16, 2017
I have not posted for a couple of days. Just trying to get my head around all I have read from others and I appreciate so much what I have read from other posts. I still can't get my head around my present position. As I have said before my partner that has recently been diagnosed with moderate alzhiemers , he does not want me to tell anyone about his condition. If I try to put my feelings forward we end up in an argument. In fact we seem to be arguing more now than before. We both still work together but our working relationship is not Good, we seem to argue more . I often think that it would be better if we retired and just enjoyed the time we have left together, but our problem is that I currently get a uk and Spanish pension being 65 but my partner is only 60 and does not get a pension and for this reason we still both to work to be able to live. We have a small savings and I often think should we just fully retire and live on our small savings and be happy.

Jolean

Oct 16, 2017
When she got her diagnosis my wife was distraught and cried for weeks - she even asked me to smother her with a pillow on the first day. I knew she had been getting worse so wasn't surprised by the diagnosis but it still hit me like a runaway train. We had travel plans spanning many months over each of the next few years so we realised that plans would have to change. We decided to move forward plans to renovate the house so that my wife could get used to things before she totally lost the capacity to cope with change (she is already struggling with that). We also had to sort out legal issues before she lost capacity. On top of all that we had people like a Language Therapist, an OT, a CPN and a dementia nurse visiting and Doctor, Consultant, and Hospital visits to attend over the summer giving help, altering meds., doing assessments etc. It was indeed too much in too short a time but I don't think we had any other option as we are about to leave Ireland for quite a long while.
From here on in things shouldn't be so frantic so I think we should be able to settle into a life similar to that that we had before, with the exception that travel plans will have to be altered and I will obviously have to take on even more personal care for my wife as the condition progresses. Obviously we can't put a time frame on things but I feel that my wife is doing well on the meds., and things are more of a nuisance and frustration than a serious burden, so we are trying to be positive about the future. I tell my wife that her Alzheimer's is like a journey through the alphabet and she hasn't even reached 'B' yet and this seems to give her a little hope.

Jolean

Oct 16, 2017
Hello and so sorry I did not reply to you. I found that your post brought back a reality check which made me sit back and think what I was actually dealing with. Now I am not that good at putting words to paper so excuse me for my bad english. I met my husband 23 years ago being both our 2nd marriage. Like any other marriage we have had our ups and downs but I have always stood by my marriage vows and stood by him. He has always said if I lose my mind then smoother me, and your words in your post reminded me of his words.
Now we are in a position that he us Losing his mind. And it upsets me so so much
This last week has been dreadful and I honestly do not know which way to turn. He told me not to tell anyone and he won't even talk to me. I just feel I am waking up arguing and going to sleep.

Jolean

Oct 16, 2017
I sit here with a tear in my eye, I feel sorry for myself but really I should be feeling sorry for my husband. I don't have alzhimers he does, so why should I feel sorry for myself. This illness takes over not just me but both of us. But how can we talk this through together any more as we would do , because we don't understand each other anymore do we.. It is either his or my fault and we can never agree. I just wish this would all go away and leave us to the way we was before.
We do understand each.. but I do miss the man I knew before.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I sit here with a tear in my eye, I feel sorry for myself but really I should be feeling sorry for my husband. I don't have alzhimers he does, so why should I feel sorry for myself. This illness takes over not just me but both of us. But how can we talk this through together any more as we would do , because we don't understand each other anymore do we.. It is either his or my fault and we can never agree. I just wish this would all go away and leave us to the way we was before.
We do understand each.. but I do miss the man I knew before.
I so understand what you are feeling and experiencing. My wife also went through a phase of not wanting me to tell anyone about her condition but she was open to my suggestion that people would be understanding and supportive if we told them and we have found that I was correct. You are correct in saying that the PWD changes; just 3 years ago I used to discuss topics like philosophy and ethics while walking with my wife and now even simple concepts are beyond her and she can sometimes struggle with everyday language. Such things depress my wife who frequently states that she can’t understand why I still want to be with her. Almost daily I quote to her the title of a Frank Zappa song “You are what you is” along with a few lines from the song. I tell her that fundamentally she is still the same person and that we are still having a good and happy life together even though the carers role can both stress and exhaust me at times. I tell her I always have and always will love her because that’s the truth. We too are 2nd time around for our marriage and I tell her that my only regret about our relationship is that we hadn’t met when we were younger and getting married for the first time because that too is the truth. I don’t get depressed or worried about our situation because I have always believed that it is futile to stress about things that one cannot change - I just play the cards that are dealt to the best of my ability. My wife has always had a depressives outlook and I find it both difficult and tedious to have to persuade her that life can still be good for us but I just plough on in my usual optimistic way - many years ago my son actually asked me if my glass was ever have empty and I simply replied “no”.
Life has changed but we still get on well together as the daily ‘issues’ are soon behind us and we have learned to enjoy the simple things. I grieve for the loss of the life we intended to have but I strive to enjoy the life we do, and will, have.
Try to keep cheerful, even when you find yourself in those moments when you are overwhelmed with exhaustion, fear and tearfulness. I don’t always succeed myself, but I never stop trying.

Jolean

Oct 16, 2017
Thank you so much your positive attitude amazes me. It is true what you say, why worry about things we can't change, worrying is only going to depress the situation further. Your wife is so lucky to have a man like you behind her. I too love my husband so much and I will always be there for him, just as you are there for your wife . It is when you can't see the illness , unlike a broken foot or a cut all you know will get better with time , but this illness is so CRUEL, it is like a slow ticking clock just not knowing when it is going to stop. To my husband I am very strong and he has no idea how I am crumbling behind him. Your post and your positive words to help and I just hope that I am not pulling you backwards. I know once this initial shock has gone I will enjoy what I have with the man I married. Today for the first time we talked about the future and my husband for the first time since his diagnoses actually said I don't know how long I have got so let's start planning , this came as a relief but also upsetting.
You and your wife seem to have accepted what life is and I admire both of you for feeling this way. You are a strong carer and your wife is so lucky, I know I will also think like you in time, just need to take one day as a time like you said
Thank you

Jolean

Oct 16, 2017
Well today we have discussed with each other our present situation and where we should borh go from here . This is a start as I think we have both put our head in the sand. I suppose the initial shock has now come to reality and we both fully appreciate that the only way forward is being positive x life together in the future is going to be brilliant x

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
That’s a good attitude. We can waste a lot of precious time worrying about what might happen in the future. Make sensible plans...and then enjoy every today.