things worsening I fear

jen54

May 20, 2014
well, mum seemed to be stable, coping OK and refusing to see a dr, now she seems to be worsening, keep thinking its a blip, but happening more now

she seems to have forgotten how to use the washing machine, but then again she hardly used it..I got her to give me her sheets to wash
But upsettingly lately during visits as the afternoon wears on, mum will ask me if her mum and dad are still down where they used to live :( she recalls they died after I prompt her, and seems sad, saying she has lost sense of time :( as she doesn't think of them a lot- but she always knew they were dead before,
she is getting less and less hygienic, rubbish all over draining board and cat hairs all over, I try to clean a bit when up there.
her stories seem to have less detail now, and she regularily asks me for detail, which luckily I know as I have heard them so often.
she is asking more and more if someone is trying to drive her out, leaving rubbish around and such like.
I fear she recalls less than she admits as she seems not so bad till she lets slip these thigns as the visit goes on.
she ahs started saying the TV is showing repeats

sadly, she keeps pressing the wrong button when turning the TV off and is turning it off AV!! so all she gets is a crackly lined screen she was in her bedroom today due to it, I do worry she gets so upset with not being able to get it back on AV she goes to bed :(
trying to work out how to cover the buttons down the side apart form the off/on button..but I fear she will take off any tape, what to do! she sint ringing me to tell me what she has done, but then-I wouldn't be able to explain to her how to turn it back onto AV over the phone

I just feel so sad for her, she knows she is forgetting more and more, but she reads the paper about dementia, and says thank god I am OK, I am at a loss at present, as she is so very defensive if any mention of needing help comes up,

Last edited:

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Hi there
if this is a sudden decline it might be worth getting her checked out at the GP for urinary tract infection or sometimes if someone is unwell their ability will drop quite suddenly.
Sorry if I have misunderstood and sorry you are going through such a difficult phase x

Grable

May 19, 2015
You say she is still able to read. Could you write step by step instructions for her to follow if she has th TV problem?

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
If you can try and get her a new TV box, Amazon etc with only on and off and volume. Much easier with big buttons not too pricey. Hope this helps.

Biggest Fairy

Jan 26, 2015
Inverness
Just buy a 'one for all' remote with minimal buttons. I believe they're available on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using fat thumbs and an inability to remember to proof read.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Sorry to hear of your troubles Jen, but yes my mum stopped using the washing machine it frightened her and I was bringing stuff home to wash, now we get the carers to take to laundrette and pick up.........she is a lot cleaner now.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
my ma stopped using washing machine first and I told her that the machine was playing up so i would do it and soon forget she had ever done it! I just took over quietly and sometimes she would take the things out for me to sort out worked well keeping her involved

The tv remote with instructions worked for a bit but then she got upset about it so i used to keep it running and set the programmes each day that I knew she would like for when i wasn't going to be there

LOU_JONES

Nov 18, 2015
Hi
I just bought a 'flipper' remote and its easier as there are only 5 visible buttons!
It seemed ok today when I tested it so will see tomorrow if the tv is on and they have managed to watch.....

Good reviews on the remote in general....
It was around £25 but seems a small price to stop the technology confusion!
X

jen54

May 20, 2014
Hi
I just bought a 'flipper' remote and its easier as there are only 5 visible buttons!
It seemed ok today when I tested it so will see tomorrow if the tv is on and they have managed to watch.....

Good reviews on the remote in general....
It was around £25 but seems a small price to stop the technology confusion!
X

we hid the tv remote so she is using only the humax remote, the problem is the tv buttons :( luckily she hasn't done it since, I must admit, I nearly pressed the wrong button myself the other day!!
just cant work out how to cover the offending buttons she doesn't need to prss, a new tell will probably be the same, they all see to have arrow of buttons - as she only has th one remote, and the TV wil only turn off by its own remote or the button, its a bit of a quandary.

as for declining, it doesn't seem ot be a suddenly thing, just gradual

jen54

May 20, 2014
Cats and someone with dementia - dilema

just posted a new thread- as I am coming to end of tether with mums four cats and recent vets appointments :( I feel I am sorting cats mess rather than looking after mum! and that all the mess and smell, is cat related

Last edited: