Things in the air.

President1

Sep 24, 2018
Has anyone experience of Angeles / ethereal things floating past. Seems to be centred on the bedroom window curtains or around the light in front of window. My wife says they drift slowly and are none specific colour and have no cloths on. She has had cataracts removed and generally can see well but needs glasses for reading which she can not get use to. Any ideas please.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Given that you mention the bedroom and a light, I wonder if this is happening late in the day. If so, it could be sundowning.

Low light, reflections in windows, shadows etc can create these hallucinations. My wife sees cats, and occasionally people. Last night she sad up in bed and started hanging over the side talking to the black kitten that she saw running around the room!

There is a Society Factsheet about behaviours and Sundowning is mentioned on pages 19-20. You can read it by clicking the PDF line of the following link. I hope it helps

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hallucinations are common with lots of different types of dementia - usually they are animals or people but angels could fit in that category too. As Pete says, its more common in the evening when they are sundowning. Do the hallucinations bother her? If not, just saying "thats nice dear" could be enough. If they do then try closing all the curtains as soon as it starts getting dusk and put the lights on so that there are no reflections or shadows to trigger it.

President1

Sep 24, 2018
Hallucinations are common with lots of different types of dementia - usually they are animals or people but angels could fit in that category too. As Pete says, its more common in the evening when they are sundowning. Do the hallucinations bother her? If not, just saying "thats nice dear" could be enough. If they do then try closing all the curtains as soon as it starts getting dusk and put the lights on so that there are no reflections or shadows to trigger it.
Does not bother her, so not a problem just trying to understand. But this may also explain the problem with any black bits on bed or floor that she goes on and on about ,that I can see but says they have legs but they do not.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It may not necessarily be hallucinations but the disease may have affected how the brain is interpreting things. As long as your wife isn't bothered, I would smile and nod and go along with her.

James V Howerton

Feb 4, 2018
Good morning,
I'm a little lost with everything going on with my life right now. So receiving an email from you all this morning is a wonderful thing.
I am not quite sure how to respond in a forum. I've never done this before so any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
My wife has dementia. For her she's greatly affected by noise and visual stimulation. She gets information overload and shuts down and has to go to bed.
Over time I've learned to recognize when she has had enough.
On top of that I have moved a friend of ours in with us with mid to late stage Alzheimers.
That is why I am responding to your post. Barbara sees and hears things on a regular basis. Also suffers from physical elements when stressed. She will get up at three in the morning to let me know she can't sleep with the baby crying or there are too many people in the house. At first I was taken back then realized for her it's real. So now when she is hallucinating I go along with it.
This morning we talked about the six people that she run out of her bedroom last night. I asked her if it bothered her knowing they were not real. She told me at times she knows it isn't real other times she can't tell and that is what scares her. Overall I feel that she is dealing with it fairly well.
I don't know if this will be of any help to you or not, but to be honest I'm truly grateful to be able to to talk to someone who can possibly understand what we deal with twenty four hours a day.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @James V Howerton and welcome from me too. I'm glad you've posted here and I'm sure you will find lots of help and support on the forum.

When you're ready to you might want to think about starting a thread. Many people do this is they find it a place to keep all of their thoughts, concerns, questions etc together. If you think this is something you would like to do just go to the I Have A Partner With Dementia area of the forum and click on the 'Post New Thread' button at the top right hand of the page. After that you're ready to go.

President1

Sep 24, 2018
Good morning,
I'm a little lost with everything going on with my life right now. So receiving an email from you all this morning is a wonderful thing.
I am not quite sure how to respond in a forum. I've never done this before so any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
My wife has dementia. For her she's greatly affected by noise and visual stimulation. She gets information overload and shuts down and has to go to bed.
Over time I've learned to recognize when she has had enough.
On top of that I have moved a friend of ours in with us with mid to late stage Alzheimers.
That is why I am responding to your post. Barbara sees and hears things on a regular basis. Also suffers from physical elements when stressed. She will get up at three in the morning to let me know she can't sleep with the baby crying or there are too many people in the house. At first I was taken back then realized for her it's real. So now when she is hallucinating I go along with it.
This morning we talked about the six people that she run out of her bedroom last night. I asked her if it bothered her knowing they were not real. She told me at times she knows it isn't real other times she can't tell and that is what scares her. Overall I feel that she is dealing with it fairly well.
I don't know if this will be of any help to you or not, but to be honest I'm truly grateful to be able to to talk to someone who can possibly understand what we deal with twenty four hours a day.
Thanks for your interesting reply, it is just nice to know that these things are normal. As a personal note when my wife had a chest infection this made things worse , like you said lots more people in the house who were not really there, fortunately after antibiotics she is back to her better state. But has she has been like this twice this year ,I did consider if having the flue vaccine would help but I fear making her ill again and you hear roomers about how bad it has made people.