Things I wish I had known

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
Hi

I have been chatting to people lately, both in TP and outside, and one thing I heard a few times is “I wish I’d known about…..earlier” or “if I had been told…. I wouldn’t have…..”.

So I was wondering if members would be willing to put down their own “if only”s on here? It could be helpful to a lot of people (myself included, I’m sure) to read in one thread other members’ advice on things it’s good to know about early on, the good and/or bad resources out there or things no one will tell you but you found out for yourself that others might find useful.

Any thoughts?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
If only I`d remembered he couldn`t help it, every time his behaviour was challenging.

If only I`d accepted help earlier.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Lovely idea. If only I had known that a nursing home was a healthy alternative to suffering hell as a sole carer, living in the dark hole of unkindness and social rejection. The district nurses told me to ignore the social workers and look into nursing care. We had such a happy two years together when my husband went into care. The home was wonderful.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
If only I’d found Talking Point earlier…

We’d already had three PWD in the family before I stumbled across it about 6 months after my dad’s diagnosis.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I wish I had known that people that were not doing the caring didnt get to judge or tell me how to do things.
I wish i'd have said ''Crack on then'' more times ( I never did)

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
I wish I'd known - and therefore been prepared for - the family tensions and divisions which arise from dealing with a family member suffering from dementia. Sadly, this appears to be very common.

At home

May 1, 2016
I wish I’d known that relatively early on, and without warning, my PWD would unknowingly wet the bed. I would have protected the mattress sooner!

wanderer22

Jan 15, 2020
I wish I had know what was wrong with my mum sooner.
I wish I had found talking point sooner.
I wish I had known it was ok to NOT BE OK before I had a breakdown trying to cope at 3am.
I wish my family had accepted sooner that mum was so ill, she was early 60s and they didn't believe me.
I wish I had gone to social services sooner.
I WISH MY MUM WAS STILL HERE.

sheels

Jan 5, 2017
I'm glad somebody told me about a book called 'Contented Dementia' It made dealing with difficult situations alot easier.

sunflowerfina

Aug 18, 2021
Hi

I have been chatting to people lately, both in TP and outside, and one thing I heard a few times is “I wish I’d known about…..earlier” or “if I had been told…. I wouldn’t have…..”.

So I was wondering if members would be willing to put down their own “if only”s on here? It could be helpful to a lot of people (myself included, I’m sure) to read in one thread other members’ advice on things it’s good to know about early on, the good and/or bad resources out there or things no one will tell you but you found out for yourself that others might find useful.

Any thoughts?
If only I could accept she has dementia,
If only I stop being angry
If only I could accept she needs help
If only I can cry
If only I could face my fears of being alone
If only I could stop being guilty
If only I can accept the situation
If only I can forgive sooner
If only

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I wish I had known that you didnt have to use a solicitor to get POA and how important it was to get it.
Mum absolutely refused to go to a solicitor, but I might have been able to get POA with her at home on a good day.
Unfortunately I eventually had to apply for deputyship which was a right faff.

Rusty26

Jun 3, 2021
Wished I’d known staying Calm and not correcting her reality was the easiest way to make a bad day a good day or at least better. I look after mum 4 days a week for 6 hours while my sister works in spare room. One of the best things I wished we’d all known was that bringing my slightly insane puppy with me every time would bring some laughter and happiness to us all. Although I could do without having to google “is ice cream dangerous to dogs” after catching mum letting the dog lick her bowl out. (BTW I do have two other dogs which is too much dog even for my mum)

blackwood77

Jul 17, 2015
I wish I had known that you didnt have to use a solicitor to get POA and how important it was to get it.
Mum absolutely refused to go to a solicitor, but I might have been able to get POA with her at home on a good day.
Unfortunately I eventually had to apply for deputyship which was a right faff.
Me too, I was lucky that my daughter helped a lot but it was still a "right faff"!!!

blackwood77

Jul 17, 2015
If only I could accept she has dementia,
If only I stop being angry
If only I could accept she needs help
If only I can cry
If only I could face my fears of being alone
If only I could stop being guilty
If only I can accept the situation
If only I can forgive sooner
If only
Would take a saint to do all this We are merely humans why Do try....but as you finish...."if only"

CAREME

Mar 9, 2021
I wish I'd known - and therefore been prepared for - the family tensions and divisions which arise from dealing with a family member suffering from dementia. Sadly, this appears to be very common.
Unfortunately it is common and It makes dealing with the PWD harder. All I can say is you need to ensure you communicate with family and voice your needs especially if you are a carer. There is a post further up saying ‘crack on then’ and I am finally saying it more and more

CAREME

Mar 9, 2021
I wish I had known that people that were not doing the caring didnt get to judge or tell me how to do things.
I wish i'd have said ''Crack on then'' more times ( I never did)
Amen! I definitely am finding my voice now rather than keeping or at least trying to keep the peace.