things have improved

bert

Jul 9, 2008
birmingham
hi there. my dad moved into an EMI nursing home about 2 miles from where i live about 6 weeks ago. its amazing how things change, last summer i had to go to the local pub and ask them to limit him to a couple of pints a day. hes had 1 pint of guinness this year, i took him to a pub with my girfriend last week and he was happy drinking pop. he seems to have lost tht taste for the beer. last summer the thought of him going into a home was something i couldnt contemplate, who wants to think about their parent going into a home?? however, he went into the assessment unit in january at just the right time, things at home were becoming dangerous, ie gas, falling over and he started to not recognise the house as being his own. i was told in december by his geriatrician doctor and social worker that a care home could be a great new beginning, but i still thought how can i put my dad in a home. but time has proved how right they were. hopefully things will continue this way

bert:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
That`s wonderful Bert. The care home seems just what your father needed and I`m so pleased the worry has been lifted from your shoulders.
Take care xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Bert, thank you for a very positive post about your dear dad.

Yes, times do change, and we have to learn to adapt our feelings and move with them.

and he was happy drinking pop
Sounds like his taste buds have changed too.

Hope things continue to go calmly for you both. Love n'hugs.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Brilliant to read about the excellent care your Dad is getting "in Care", and is happy there.

It's all too easy to believe they are all bad, as the bad ones are the ones which make the headlines.