Things happening I don't remember

Rainey

Jul 15, 2016
Spalding
i was diagnosed with vascular dementia 2 years ago. My problem for the last ? Months is that strange things happen, I must being doing them as I live alone but I have little or no recollection of doing them only the evidence.

EG: 2 mornings ago I went to take my usual tablets opened the plastic box they are in with the days on and it was full of cat food! Another time the cat food bowls were filled with dishwasher tablets, or the time when the shelf in the fridge was full of mugs of tea all neatly lined up. This morning I woke up and every door and window in the bungalow was open.

This is to the point now that it's frightening, why can't I remember doing these things and how long before something really dangerous happens. I don't remember getting out of bed in the night or anything.

Moominpapa

Jul 18, 2018
i was diagnosed with vascular dementia 2 years ago. My problem for the last ? Months is that strange things happen, I must being doing them as I live alone but I have little or no recollection of doing them only the evidence.

EG: 2 mornings ago I went to take my usual tablets opened the plastic box they are in with the days on and it was full of cat food! Another time the cat food bowls were filled with dishwasher tablets, or the time when the shelf in the fridge was full of mugs of tea all neatly lined up. This morning I woke up and every door and window in the bungalow was open.

This is to the point now that it's frightening, why can't I remember doing these things and how long before something really dangerous happens. I don't remember getting out of bed in the night or anything.

Moominpapa

Jul 18, 2018
Rainey do you have any good friends, neighbours or family close by, and do they know about your diagnosis? Knowing someone is there to look out for you (and even to lock up for you when you forget) might help.
My mum has ‘moderately advanced’ Alzheimer’s and I used to find this type of stuff all the time when I visited her at home - things in the fridge and cupboards that didn’t belong etc. Must be scary I know but it is quite a common thing to do.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Rainey, this must be upsetting for you.

To be factual, you don't remember because the effects of your dementia on your hippocampus simply mean that new memories can no longer be made. Don't fret over that aspect.

The important thing is your safety. Do you have any contact with a Social Worker who could arrange a needs assessment for you?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Rainey do you have any good friends, neighbours or family close by, and do they know about your diagnosis? Knowing someone is there to look out for you (and even to lock up for you when you forget) might help.
My mum has ‘moderately advanced’ Alzheimer’s and I used to find this type of stuff all the time when I visited her at home - things in the fridge and cupboards that didn’t belong etc. Must be scary I know but it is quite a common thing to do.
Welcome to the forum to you too @Moominpapa. If you have any questions yourself don't hesitate to start a thread in this part of the forum https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Rainey
whatever is happening, you are clearly concerned, so it would be worth making an appointment with your GP and having a chat with them about all of this - and if you are still involved with a consultant, maybe at the Memory Clinic, make an appointment to talk things over with them, or ask your GP to make a referral for you - show them your post, or print it off and add any other examples of things that are bothering you - hopefully they will be able to make some suggestions to settle your mind
if you live alone, it might also help to have someone pop in during the day so you have someone to support you and help you check things are in order, or a day centre to attend some days for company (my dad used to really enjoy the meal they provided too) - so do contact your Local Authority Adult Services and ask for an assessment of your care needs (you have a right to this), especially mention the instance with your tablets as it's very important that you take any prescribed medication for it to be effective
if you want to chat to someone there's the AS helpline. 0300 222 1122
and you might find more ideas from this page of the main AS site https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support
try Admiral Nurses too https://www.dementiauk.org/get-support/admiral-nursing/
and, of course, keep posting here

Rainey

Jul 15, 2016
Spalding
Thank you for your replies. I have been to the memory clinic today with my son and daughter in law. When I first diagnosed there was a mention that I could have mixed vascular and Alzheimer's. Today they have said that I have Alzheimer's which has hit me hard having come to terms with the original one.

They have started me on medication, can't remember which and a nurse will be making regular visits and also an OT to see what can be done to make things a bit safer.

I wasn't expecting this at all today at the minute I can't really process the news.

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
Hi Rainey and welcome.

I'm glad that you will now have regular visits from a nurse, and the Occupational Therapist will be coming along to see what needs doing to make you safer in your home. It must be a worry for you. I know that having a second altered diagnosis must seem weird, but the fact that you have now been prescribed something that will hopefully slow down the disease must be something to celebrate. If the drug doesn't suit you, you will have your nurse to talk to, and I'm sure alternatives will be found.

I'm glad that you posted - it was brave, honest and direct of you and you have given me an insight as to what it must have been like for my Mother in law when she was suffering with Alzheimer's. She used to do the same sort of things.

Do keep posting and I hope the medication works well for you. XX

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
Hi Rainey

I am sorry that you are feeling distressed. It sounds like you would benefit from talking to someone about your emotions and to be able to ask questions. I was diagnosed in January this years with early onset Alzheimer’s and had to give up work. It has been difficult few months and I asked for emotional support and psychological support but am still waiting. Please chat to TP as we encourage each other.

Myra_52

Aug 30, 2018
So glad you managed to speak to someone about this Rainey, and glad you now have regular visits.

Take care!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar