Things can only get...worse...

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Oh dear. Dad's paranoid delusions have now reached the point where -

He believes the Mormons are responsible for the foot and mouth outbreak

He believes that our GP (who is obviously of "Asian" extraction, and a Hindu) is part of the conspiracy (apparently the Mormons report things to him)

He believes that the neighbour is listening to him all the time

Last night he got in a dreadful state and didn't want mum and I to go out for the shopping "because I don't want to be on my own I can't cope with THAT BLOKE"

He said he felt like throwing himself into the river nearby - to my shame my first thought was "go right ahead and put us all out of your misery then"

This morning he claimed that when we got home "You will either find me unconscious or if I meet THAT MAN I will punch him in the face"

We still haven't found any way of reporting this, as dad listens in on all our phone conversations, and (despite his dementia) would instantly work out that a visit by one of us to the GP followed by the CPN or pyschiatrist calling here were connected, which is what happened last time, and he gave us hell over it.

We keep telling dad that if he didn;t constantly wander around the front garden/pavement he wouldn;t have to meet "that man" and, even if he does, he doesn;t have to say anything. Dad just says "oh but I must be polite"...argh!

I feel trapped! How true the old saying is about Hell being a very small place.

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Nebiroth said:
We still haven't found any way of reporting this, as dad listens in on all our phone conversations, and (despite his dementia) would instantly work out that a visit by one of us to the GP followed by the CPN or pyschiatrist calling here were connected, which is what happened last time, and he gave us hell over it.

We keep telling dad that if he didn;t constantly wander around the front garden/pavement he wouldn;t have to meet "that man" and, even if he does, he doesn;t have to say anything. Dad just says "oh but I must be polite"...argh!

I feel so sorry for all of you, but you must get him some medical/psychiatric help, the sooner the better.

He must feel so persecuted all the time.

Tell the GP what is happening and what the consequences were for you all last time.

If he is threatening to punch the neighbour, surely he is a risk to himself and everyone else.

Unless someone intervenes now, you will never get out of the current situation and it could escalate badly very quickly.

Is there a way of getting him into an assessment unit?

Kathleen

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Sad thing is that apart from his paranoid delusions dad is fairly "compos mentis" and would not only realise the implications of seeing GP/psychiatrist/assessment unit and because of this would absolutely refuse to go.

He knows what seeing a psychiatrist means but at the same time has no insight into his condition, as far as he's concerned, all this stuff is completely real, and therefore his behavior is a perfectly normal reaction to it.

I suppose I would behave in the same way if I genuinely believed what dad does, and he does genuinely believe it and cannot see how bizarre or unfounded his beliefs are in reality.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I agree with Kathleen. This situation is not getting any better and is wearing you down.

I would ask for a home visit, from a consultant psychiatrist, and if your dad plays up when he comes he will be acting true to form.

Either you or your mother could phone from a public call box and let the GP know the situation.

It sounds as if he is beyond reason.

Take care xx

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Nebiroth said:
Sad thing is that apart from his paranoid delusions dad is fairly "compos mentis" and would not only realise the implications of seeing GP/psychiatrist/assessment unit and because of this would absolutely refuse to go.

Which is exactly why he needs and deserves to be helped, I understand he would refuse to go, but he needs help to be at peace with a world that, to him, must be very frightening and threatening.

I think you need to insist that the GP takes action urgently. for all your sakes........including your neighbour who has put up with so much already.

Kathleen

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Nebiroth said:

He knows what seeing a psychiatrist means but at the same time has no insight into his condition, as far as he's concerned, all this stuff is completely real, and therefore his behavior is a perfectly normal reaction to it.

I suppose I would behave in the same way if I genuinely believed what dad does, and he does genuinely believe it and cannot see how bizarre or unfounded his beliefs are in reality.

I hesitate to say this but he is not "compos mentis" - despite the fact he presents as if he is. He is suffering from terrible delusions (which sound as if they will devolve into violent behaviour at any time) and, due to the dementia, he lacks insight into his condition. Lacking insight is a classic part of any mental ilness.

I can understand just how awful it is for you and your Mum, but I think you must form a "united front" and INSIST the doctor/psychiatrist, whatever, admit him to hospital to be re-assessed and to have his medications altered or changed.

No doubt your Dad will HATE this (and you) but sadly I can see no alternative. Eventually something dire will happen and he will almost certainly be sectioned. If it is truly dire, he may commit a criminal act - altho' of course he could not be liable because of his mental state. But I doubt you or your Mum would feel any better just because he wasn't liable.

I expect I sound very hard hearted, and it IS easier when you are outside, rather than a loving family member. But I really honestly think this situation must not go on much longer, for all your sakes.

I'm thinking of you and wishing for the best possible outcome for you all.