things can only get worse.

bebee.

Mar 24, 2006
oxon,south.
here goes. previous threads instigated by grandaughter,but the facts are---3 years of absolute hell. I did 30+years of psychiatric nursing in most trying situations, including geriatrics, mainly as a charge nurse with 6 staff per ward, but it was easy compared with my current situation. I feel as if I've been emotionally " lynched " The 18 hr. days of physical input is almost rewarding in a masochistic way,but the isolation and lack of communication with a shadow of my wife is devastating!! I have organised a virtual private nursing area at home and have every safety devices in place, including the usual outside help; eg. GP, CPN, Age concern,but it makes little difference. All shopping is done online somehow. I am never more than 10 feet away from my wife, and am constantly wrestling with her to prevent injury. There is always someone worse off though, and I wish them well ! Ah well, I feel better now sorry to moan.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Hi bebee

Don't be sorry its good to express how you feel I know what you mean . Join the Club :)

Yes I am always been told
There is always someone worse off though
but it sure don't feel like it .

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
[QUOTE=bebee.]here goes. previous threads instigated by grandaughter,but the facts are---3 years of absolute hell. I did 30+years of psychiatric nursing in most trying situations, including geriatrics, mainly as a charge nurse with 6 staff per ward, but it was easy compared with my current situation. I feel as if I've been emotionally " lynched " The 18 hr. days of physical input is almost rewarding in a masochistic way,but the isolation and lack of communication with a shadow of my wife is devastating!! I have organised a virtual private nursing area at home and have every safety devices in place, including the usual outside help; eg. GP, CPN, Age concern,but it makes little difference. All shopping is done online somehow. I am never more than 10 feet away from my wife, and am constantly wrestling with her to prevent injury. There is always someone worse off though, and I wish them well ! Ah well, I feel better now sorry to moan.[/QUOTE]

I too have worked in some very harrowing positions, but none compares to how you feel when your loved ones are involved, does it? I remember many years ago being quite huffy when a wise person said to me (something about children) - "you will feel differently when you are a mother". I certainly learnt the truth of that! Now I am learning about how the most professional attitudes, the best academic knowledge, etc. amount to very little when it comes to caring for AD patients in your own family! And my role is nothing like as burdensome as your's!

With great admiration and my best wishes,
Nell

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Bebee
Don't feel isolated any more....you've got loads of support here and it really does help to know that there are so many out there who understand.....I'm sure I couldn't cope without it!!!!
Don't worry about moaning or letting off steam....does you good!!!
love and hugs xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Yes maybe there is always someone worse off but we all have our own particular problems to handle. My husband is not at your wife's stage but my heart goes out to you. Just sounding off here does seem to help so do it as and when you can. Best wishes Beckyjan

Grandaughter 1

Jan 17, 2006
Hampshire
I really feel for you. Your situation very much describes how my Nan is feeling looking after Grandad. The 10 feet description is very true. My Nan felt so guilty a few weeks back as she nodded off and Grandad wondered off across a main road!

Louise x