Things are moving

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
now dads been referred

hi again,
Now dads been referred to to the consultant how long does it take for the appointment to come through?does anyone have a rough idea?only asking coz i and the kids are going away for a week in October and i would be devastated if it was in that time.both mum and dad will need support.i know other family are here but I'm the one who knows the score and am the one who has got the balls to say something if i disagree.love elainex

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi Grannie G,
thanks for that.my little one was not always sensitive.he did used to get agitated with dad.I didn't think he was old enough to understand but felt i had to try to explain what was happening to dad.He is wonderful with dad now,he even tells him its time they both had a shave.dad loves the humour he brings.love elainex

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Elaine. There's no answer to your question, it all depends on the area, how many consultants there are, etc.

What I would do is ring the consultant's secretary and ask approx. how long it will take, and if it's going to be a while, give her the dates of your holiday and ask her to keep them clear.

Love,

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Thanks Skye,that was going through my mind.Its not that the others don't care it's that they don't see dad on a daily basis like i do and i know they won't speak up.to be honest they have no idea what Alzheimers is all about and probably don't want to know for fear of what they may learn.there i go ranting again.sorry.love elainex

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Not sure about the stimulation elain:
wondered if kids do stimulate them.love elainex
At one stage when Lionel was having a bad day my youngest grandaughter was the only one he would respond to.

That has passed now, but good whilst it lasted.

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
talk about insensitive.

Hi am back again,
I am in a total rage.A so called "friend" of mums has rung to ask how dad was getting on.She told her about waiting for consultant to visit.The "friend" has told mum to expect the worse as dad will end up in a psychiatric unit.Mums rung me absolutley heartbroke,asking if dad will be taken away from her.I am shaking with rage.The "friend" has a relative who is in a psychiatric unit,purely because the family failed to accept they had a problem,she lived on her own and was wandering the streets in the early hours.They all knew but didn't do a thing until it was too late.I am summising that this person now feels guilty and is trying to make mum feel they way she does.No way.Due to astuteness we have hopefully caught dad in the early stages,but if not then we will deal with it.But i would never ever dream of saying something like this to anyone who has a loved one with Alzheimers.sorry but i am a bit angry at the insensitivity.love elainex

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Elaine, I'm not surprised you're mad. That 'friend' has a lot to answer for.

Yoy know it's not true, there's a lot of difference between your dad, who is cared for by a loving family, and a lady who lives alone and is wandering at night.

But there is no excuse for the friend to say such a thing, even if she believed it was true. It was just upsetting your mum for no reason. Your mum's going to need a lot of reassurance.

Love,

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
hi skye,
mum has had the uttmost reassurance,i had a good cry after i last posted.I don't want my mum made more uncertain than she already is.For two pins i would go round to this "friend",but that would get mum even more upset.she may suffer the wrath of elaine if i see her on the bus though!love elainex

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I'm the youngest of four!maybe its coz i can be a bit gobby!and am reluctant to take no for an answer.

Now that Sounds good to be to be like that , as it help your father get medication , good luck with medication tell us how you get on

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Elaine,

Regarding children stimulating, I think that children tend to treat dementia sufferers (and everyone else for that matter) with no prejudice or pre-conceptions. As much as the rest of us try to treat the sufferer as 'normal' we can't help but act a little forced. Children are very open and accepting and I think that it does strike a note of acceptance with sufferers.

As for the Consultant I can't say how long it will take but I'm sure it would be worth ringing the Consultant's secretary to ask that certain weeks be avoided. If it is Dr. W, he is well worth waiting for.

As for your 'friend' :eek: :eek: . With friends like that who needs enemies?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Elaine, that `friend` is no friend of your mother`s, she is hitting out at her to cover her own guilt.

Love xx

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
I quite agree Grannie G.Thats exactly what I said to mum.As for friends like that i much prefer enemies.Anyway i have arranged for mum to go Blackpool for the day next Sunday with a true friend.An aunt who isn't an aunt,if you get what i mean.I think she needs the time out.My sister is looking after dad for the day as I and the kids are off to Wembley to watch the rugby final.I haven't told her yet,thought it would be a nice suprise.Love Elainex

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a lovely surprise for your mother Elaine.

I don`t want to upset Sue, and am not a Rugby fan, but you deserve for your team to win.

Love xx

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Thanks for the consideration of Sue Grannie G.However I support Saint Helens.Just wish Wigan were their challenge at the final.Sue and I have a rapport over the rugby thing!Just heard from my sister as to what she has planned for dad when mum goes to Blackpool.A trip to the war museum in Manchester.He will be in his element.love elainex