1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

They've had him in the shower!!!!

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Dimelza, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Dimelza

Dimelza Registered User

May 28, 2013
    Sorry but I'm shouting from the rooftops!
    Dad is having his first ever respite week and it's been an emotional time for me.
    I phoned yesterday evening to see how he is and although he refused to go to bed so slept on the sofa on Monday evening, on Tuesday morning he had a shower, shave and clean clothes, took his medication and was happy with no complaints?!
    How?! Who cares!
    The most expensive shower in the world maybe but I'm tempted to send him regularly for this alone

2. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
  3. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    These are the people who have the expertise . A shame most are on minimum wages.

4. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England

I so agree.

5. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Brilliant
    It is these things that matter so much
    Maybe they have a trick to share with you?
    Maybe a morning care visit to get him up and ready for the day when back at home (sorry can't remember if he already has one) will take the stress from you - especially as he's proved amenable.

6. Dimelza

Dimelza Registered User

May 28, 2013
    I'll definitely ask how they've managed it. He does have a morning call to get him up but refuses to budge. They just encourage but not very well!

7. looviloo

looviloo Registered User

May 3, 2015
    Female
    Cheshire
    Excellent! It's things like this that make all the difference, isn't it? I hope you get some hints and tips, and maybe even the help you need, to continue this trend ;-).

My dad is in a care home and still complains that they make him shower... once a week!