1. jknight

jknight Registered User

Oct 23, 2015
    Hampshire
    Hi all,
    We had central heating installed, for mum, last year.
    Mum turns the thermostat right down at night and then up to 30 if she wants warmth. I need to buy a cover so it can stay at a constant, comfortable, temperature. My intention is, if she can't see the dial, she won't fiddle
    I've looked online but can only find clear covers, with a lock. Not what I want. I just want something simple that covers the dial. Out of sight out of mind.
    Any ideas?

2. LHS

LHS Registered User

Oct 5, 2018
    You could buy a socket box with a blank cover? But then it may be too warm at night for her unless you put it on a timer that she also can't fiddle with.

3. jknight

jknight Registered User

Oct 23, 2015
    Hampshire
    Good idea! Thank you xxx

4. LHS

LHS Registered User

Oct 5, 2018
    My mum is struggling to understand her heating now and sometimes turns it off. I am actually wondering whether to get a hive or nest system so that I can monitor remotely from my smartphone and change the settings if necessary. Too complicated to explain how it works to my mum, I will probably just get it installed and tell her it's a repair!

5. Rob_E

Rob_E Registered User

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    Liverpool
    There are electronic thermostats that allow different temperatures to be set for different times of the day. So it could be set to a lower temperature at night. An idea that was also mentioned in another thread is to disconnect the original thermostat but leave it in situ and have another thermostat in another location, they can be controlled remotely now.

6. Lynmax

Lynmax Registered User

Nov 1, 2016
    Rob, I like that idea of leaving the original thermostat in place but disconnecting it!

To use hive or some other remote control, would Mum need to have access to broadband? That would be a problem for us as she would spot the extra payments on her bank statement and query it! We are not at that stage yet, Mum seems to manage her heating controls but I know that will change as her illness progresses, she has recently struggled with using the microwave.

7. Toms_daughter

Toms_daughter New member

Oct 7, 2018
    How about getting that clear cover and spray painting the inside prior to installing it? If you get a color close to the wall color it would blend in well.

8. karaokePete

karaokePete Registered User

Jul 23, 2017
    N Ireland
  9. jknight

jknight Registered User

Oct 23, 2015
    Hampshire
    Brilliant idea! A warm welcome tou the forum from me, as well