There is always a 'Wake Up' call with Dementia....

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I keep thinking I have an angle on all this, then I realise, I am clueless.
I went down with a stonking cold yesterday, luckily, the first since the OH was diagnosed.
As you do, I struggled and sniffed through the day, with very little energy.
Today, I woke with no energy at all. Got out of bed to make the 7.00am coffee that he expects every day - no enquiry as to how I was.
I went back to my room, and fell asleep. You know how it is, when one is not used to sleeping in the daytime, you sort of drift in and out.
He did not get up at his usual time - because he had not heard me up and about.
He finally got up about 9.30am, and got his own cornflakes & toast, but would not have taken meds, if I had not got up and given them to him. He did not ask why I was not up and about.
I told him I was going back to bed, but Tesco were coming - just take the groceries in and I would put them away.
I heard his carer come and go - he never mentioned to her I was not well.
I was fast asleep, when my mobile rang loudly twice. I jumped, and answered it. It was the nice Mr Tesco - who was outside and had knocked on the door - but, you've guessed, OH had ignored him.
I then had to get up again, to make his lunch, and give him his meds.
Why does this bother me? Only because the little thought niggling away in my head, is telling me I do only have a cold, but how much would he ignore me if I was seriously ill??
Rant over

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
I went down with a stonking cold yesterday, luckily, the first since the OH was diagnosed.
Today, I woke with no energy at all. Got out of bed to make the 7.00am coffee that he expects every day - no enquiry as to how I was.
I went back to my room, and fell asleep. You know how it is, when one is not used to sleeping in the daytime, you sort of drift in and out.
He finally got up about 9.30am, and got his own cornflakes & toast, but would not have taken meds, if I had not got up and given them to him. He did not ask why I was not up and about.
I told him I was going back to bed, but Tesco were coming - just take the groceries in and I would put them away.
I was fast asleep, when my mobile rang loudly twice. I jumped, and answered it. It was the nice Mr Tesco - who was outside and had knocked on the door - but, you've guessed, OH had ignored him.
Why does this bother me? Only because the little thought niggling away in my head, is telling me I do only have a cold, but how much would he ignore me if I was seriously ill??
Rant over
I also had a wake up call last week, I woke up with a really bad pain on my left side under my ribs and as the day went on it seemed to move around, I told OH but as usual it went in one ear and out the other and still insisted we take the dog out and because he can't be trusted to go on his own I have to go, so what happens if I am really ill? Lxx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
@maryjoan could you ask his carer to check on you if he/she comes in any day and doesn’t see you. Not to do anything but just to see you are not in need of emergency care.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
@maryjoan could you ask his carer to check on you if he/she comes in any day and doesn’t see you. Not to do anything but just to see you are not in need of emergency care.
Excellent idea - thanks for that - I will certainly do that - see just goes to show, we all need a little nudge to see the wood for the trees - thank you so much xx

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
Rant over
Hi:

We are not allowed to get sick. What gets me is he asks a total stranger "How are you today?"
but me, I get nothing as if I'm not even there. Yesterday I said to him "Who do you think makes the bed?" Answer "I don't know." followed by a snicker.:)

The earlier he goes to bed the better for me. Take care. Like someone mentioned it is a good idea having someone check on you daily, if not morning & night.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
@maryjoan
I hear you on this. As I create support for myself and Nick, I know this is the next step. I need to set up a occassional service for us ....so, that if I get sick, I can just call them up and tell them to come. I am not sure it is possible, but that is my next step on things to get done.
I had a headache come out of the blue last Friday. Kind of a sinus thing....steamed my head for 24 hours and was fine. But slept most of Friday and Saturday. Just getting up to administor meds and feed Nick, grudgingly. But barely that.
I had a conversation with the Spitex services last summer, but I was unclear how I was prepared to use them at that point in time. I am now ready for the next conversation. I do not require regular help yet. I can handle getting him washed, shaved and dressed still. But it is coming. But when I am ill, I cannot do these things.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
@maryjoan
I hear you on this. As I create support for myself and Nick, I know this is the next step. I need to set up a occassional service for us ....so, that if I get sick, I can just call them up and tell them to come. I am not sure it is possible, but that is my next step on things to get done.
I had a headache come out of the blue last Friday. Kind of a sinus thing....steamed my head for 24 hours and was fine. But slept most of Friday and Saturday. Just getting up to administor meds and feed Nick, grudgingly. But barely that.
I had a conversation with the Spitex services last summer, but I was unclear how I was prepared to use them at that point in time. I am now ready for the next conversation. I do not require regular help yet. I can handle getting him washed, shaved and dressed still. But it is coming. But when I am ill, I cannot do these things.

Absolutely agree with you on that - it's not just about planning for the PWD it is planning for us as their Carers. One cannot go on forever without being ill. It's one thing arranging respite ( which there is none round here) but another thing having cover in place as and when you need to go to bed yourself to get well again - it's not quite emergency, as in carer being admitted to hospital, but it is necessary cover.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I have had days when even the essentials are too much. I have dosed in a chair with one eye open!
However we try to keep fit, something can creep in.
I am not doing the activities I used to do. Even walking is too much when tired and a man and walker in tow. Although last week my knee was painful, so I was dragging behind. Every picture tells a story.

I am having radio therapy as a preventive, these sessions are very tiring. It is a long day.
A few tummy upsets have made it diffcult, I think these were stress related after various tests in case it was a spread.
I treat colds with large doses of Vit.C.
I tend to use home remedies.

Trying to take myself in order. My pelvic floor is causing problems, I have found a NHS app called Squeezy costs £2.99.
It sends me a message at set times, it times 10 slow and 10 quick. Records these.
Just thought I would pass it on girls!
Men should do these but they are different.

I do have an emergency number set up for a couple of days until a better answer is found. This does not cover just being ill at home, this are really if dashed in to hospital. I am not sure it is still operating, thanks for the reminder I must check.

It is diffult to cover all eventualities.