There are changes, physically as well, of course

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I'm still keeping my diary of visits to see Jan.

Yesterday's reads:
September 24th 2007

Visited before lunch. Jan had slept in, so I fed her Weetabix for her breakfast.
At first she was not entirely with it, but she was calm; then, as the visit progressed, she emerged somewhat.
I reflected, with my nose and forehead on hers – the normal communication method now – that her face has become a bit like rubber, in that all the features are still hers, but they are slightly distorted. Maybe not so slightly. Her beautiful face has become a bit of a characature.
But close up, nose to nose, it is still Jan's eye that I see, still her mouth. Moving away a little, her nose is still recognisable, though it points at a weird angle, presumably because she now habitually sleeps face down on it. As it has happened with trying to understand what is going on inside her mind where I have to enter her world and change my own perceptions – it is now happening the same way with her physical presence.
It is almost like a test – how far can Jan be taken away, while still with me, and yet still be recognisable as Jan?
The older residents don't seem to have the same thing happen - or perhaps, since I never knew them before, I just accept them as they are.

It is a continual challenge to me to be able to accept Jan as she now is. :(

Gone are the days when she could crawl around her specially padded room. She can no longer do that, and we get more out of visits when she is in her chair. At least I get more out of the visits and it is less distressing for me, regularly to see her this way.

wimbledon7

May 27, 2007
england
physical changes/saptial awareness

hi, my wife of 51 years was diagnosed in Feb this year. she seems to see the ground moving and always dizzy. could this be Parkinsons as her memory is very good and alks well with slight lisp. she often cannot walk properly especially at night and sleeps at 45 degree angle and sits on the edge of chairs...the result of strong dosage of Exelon tablets or...something else?? - anyone have any ideas? - thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
wimbledon7 said:
- anyone have any ideas? - thanks
I wish I did have, I would love to be able to offer an explanation.Your wife is so young.
But really your doctor is the best one to ask and if you`re at all concerned s/he might be able to help.
If you do manage to find out, perhaps you`ll post and let us know.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thank you Bruce.

Your posts always help me, primarily because you have been travelling so much longer, along similar paths. I hope that I will always have your compassion and fortitude.

Posted by wimbledon
hi, my wife of 51 years was diagnosed in Feb this year. she seems to see the ground moving and always dizzy. could this be Parkinsons as her memory is very good and alks well with slight lisp. she often cannot walk properly especially at night and sleeps at 45 degree angle and sits on the edge of chairs...the result of strong dosage of Exelon tablets or...something else?? - anyone have any ideas? - thanks

Your wife symptons sound similar to some Lionel has had over the past 6 years.
His memory was not the first to go, although he felt it was always his biggest problem. He could always see the ground moving, and had so much trouble with spatial awareness.

Having nursed my mother with Parkinsons I could relate some of his symptons to that, although his diagnosis has always been Alzheimers, and nowdays does have mini strokes.

He was prescribed Exelon at the very begining, ad is still on that medication today, despite being virtually bedridden.

As I said above, reading other posts does help. Similar journeys, similar destinations, different timetables.

Cymbaline

Aug 23, 2007
It's only last week that the thought crossed my mind that my mother has changed physically. She's 61 but seems to have aged a lot in recent times and now looks closer to 71. There's something different about her eyes and mouth. I can't explain it too well but they look different. Perhaps it's just the permanent facial expression she's got nowadays. The light has truly died in her eyes.

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Mum Has changed. She actually looks like one of the oldest in the home but she is actually one of the youngest. Physicaly she is frail,bent over slightly. Her face has changed shape (but then she now refuses to wear her teeth) and mostly there is no light in her eyes.

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
social worker noticed a change in bobs apperance

2-3 weeks ago when i was desperate asking for help social worker came
she had not seen bob for a long time
first thing she said was he looks diffrent not how i remember him
i thought it was my imagination cos i look at him and its bob but not bob
i cant explain
love bel x

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
thanks for re starting thread

i keep trying to deal and then blank changes with bob
a customer who has been ill himself for 2 years
came in today
lovelly guy
he said i cant beleive the change in looks -re bob
i kept up the laughy bravado aspect
but to me there are too many people seeing a physical difrence in looks it cant just be me
but i still dought my self
cos i dont wantt it to be true
love bel x

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
I keep seeing Parkinsons mentioned

Changes in facial expressions, yes, other people notice that. I still see my Ron. But the Parkinson's Explain please, because Ron has Parkinson's
Barb XX

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej