the waiting is over

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
When 'help' comes too late

Know what you mean,Kazzette, I experienced a similar thing myself from Mum's Social Worker.

In Mum's last month, I received WONDERFUL real help & support from the GP and his District Nurses team and, via them, from the OTs, Physiotherapist & from Marie Curie Nurses night-sitters. The District Nurses came in regularly twice a week, & I could call them at any time 24/7, and I got 3 night-sits a fortnight when I could sleep, uninterrupted! By this time I was pretty frazzled, and really needed help. Mum could not tell night from day by then, so my nights were constantly disturbed.

The SW came to do a re-assessment in the 1st week of August; she rang me an hour after Mum died on 3rd Sept. (although she could not have known about that at the time) to tell me what care package she had sorted out! I had only requested assistance to bed-bath Mum & change bedding (my back was suffering by now) & it could be at any time of day to suit them. Didn't get even that.

Kazzette

Sep 11, 2008
night sitters

Oh how I would have loved a night sitter. Nothing like you mentioned was offered to me. Mum to0 lost all concept of time so the nights could be pretty traumatic. The baby intercom came in real handy but there were nights I had to sleep in the chair in her room. Why is it the backs all ways grumble the most??

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
siblings

Hi Kazzette,
You will find on here many comments about siblings and the lack of help/support they offer. You are not alone! When my mum died 16 years ago I had to sort out the funeral arrangements etc and I was 9 months pregnant. Needless to say while rushing around 30milea away from home my waters broke:eek: I have 4 siblings- 3 older than me yet I was the one who was rushing around and in my condition. Also when dad was dying it was always me who mum rang to go around to talk to the doctor etc and i lived the furthest away!
The saying goes "you can't choose your family but you can choose your friends"- how right is that

Keep posting- we are here

Julie xx