the unpredictability of alzheimers!

j.j

Jan 8, 2007
hi all not been on for a week or so so much to do, and not enough time i know you will so understand. Christmas with mam was great brought her home for full day pushed her dinner onto her spoon with her finger while saying how luvly again and again it was, and that was good,but christmas is a bit of a marker for looking back at what our loved ones could do this time last year and i am so grateful we still have communication but found it all very emotional and had lots of tears. Then boxing day took mam out she could barely walk or talk was quite concerned and she was bieng monitered. Went in on thursday not sure what to expect and she seemed okay so went to beach and she was on top form, demolished an ice cream while walking the sands! There are days when she slumps in the chair not knowing anything and others where we grab and squeeze all we can out of them. Its not an easy time of year and i,m grateful to tp and wish you all well, x

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear j.j.
We can only take it one day or visit at a time and make the most of memories along with the sadness.
It is such an unpredictible illness and we can only be there to give them love and support.
Best wishes. Christine

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hi j.j,

Unpredictable is so apt for this miserable disease. Christmas day mum was more aware then usually even though she wasn't buying into the idea it was Christmas. Mum's birthday was on Christmas day also, so she wasn't having a bar of that either. I know what you mean by what a difference a day can make, as the same happens with my mum. I now wait and assess mum on the day before telling staff I'm taking her out because from one day to the next I don't know what to expect. If mum had of being like she was on Boxing day there would of been no way I could of taken her home for Christmas day. I am glad that your mum enjoyed her dinner. It is sad when we reflect back on last Christmas and see the deterioration that a year as brought. Take Care. Taffy.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Unpredictable is so apt for this miserable disease.
Can't hold back any longer - I've been dying to say that the most predictable thing about dementia is its very unpredictability.

There, I've said it. Trite, but true.

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
hello jj

How lovely, to be walking on the beach, eating an ice-cream and your Mum in good spirits too.
This time last year my Mum had been living with us for nearly 4 months and we had a lovely Christmas.
Now she is in her own virtual world and joins reality VERY occassionally.
Mum is still living with us,but will be going into a NH as soon as a suitable one is found.

The unpredictability, is what makes this ILLNESS unique, just like each and every one of it's sufferers.

'HAPPY NEW YEAR' to ALL TPers
Take care
Love Janetruth x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513