The Two Perspectives of Dementia

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
I’m sorry this is a rather long Blog but it needs to be said!

I recently wrote and posted a poem called “Of Two perspective” and started it with an introduction by saying:
(It’s said that every story has two points of view in the same way as a coin has two sides and our illness is no exception to this!)
Now after reading some other topics on TP very much in the same vain I decided to take my own thoughts on the subject further as I’m personally convinced our illness has a greater affect on our partners and family’s far more than its does ourselves.

I remember back in 1958 when I was 12 years old I saw my dear grandfather bedridden with mixed dementia and can still clearly recall the entire trauma and distress it caused all the family and particularly my Grandmother who had to deal with the declining situation everyday, to this day I don’t know how she managed as in those days there wasn’t any AZ society to support her, there wasn’t any care homes for granddad neither was there any affective medication to help delay the illness or its associated affects but manage she did right up to my grandfathers demise without complaint, maybe in those days people where just that bit more resilient after having survived two world wars so she viewed it as just one more problem in life to be overcome.

Then some years latter I saw my late Father-in-law with the same illness that eventually had to be moved into a care home as his wife just could no longer cope with all the illnesses problems, maintain the daily running of the house and control her own declining health as a result of her husband’s illness.

Bering in mind those two accounts and seeing first hand the affects on the family its made me view my own 4 years with mixed dementia and Alzheimer’s in a different way and from both perspectives and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s the spouse/family who bear the utmost affliction within our illness, for them our problems only become far more traumatic with every passing day as we start to demand (either knowingly or unknowingly) far more constant attention from them to the point that it drives them to there own deep dilemmas, depressions and frustrations of our condition.

I’m sure that in the early stages of any dementia once we get over the initial shock that both husband and wife approach it with a positive attitude and maybe a plan of action and can still somewhat laugh and joke about some of the problems associated at that time, but as the illness progresses all laughter is lost as it becomes a whole new ball game as slowly for those of us having the illness we start to lose all rationality and awareness of it and become even more dependant on our spouse not only to take care of us but also the daily running of the household and its financial affairs, it gets to the point that for them there is no longer any quality time in there own life to do anything as and when they want since there undying consideration is with our care without a thought for themselves, for us the fight will slowly diminish without knowledge but for our spouse the problems will still be there slowly becoming more traumatic for them day by day, yes they can talk to the AZ society or friends which might momentarily help them get through the day but the problems will still remain, for us there is excellent medication to relive our suffering although in my own view all the medication is doing is to prolong the ultimate end and cause yet more stress to the spouse and family! But for our spouse there is on such medication on this earth that could relieve there own distress or bring back the quality to there life again there battle goes ever on and still lingerie’s on even after our demise.

Now I start asking myself some searing questions as I can’t bear the thought of all the problems that lay ahead of my darling wife and have often said maybe it would be better if my life just quietly slipped away now so that my dear wife has her own life back before its too late as mine is now no more than an existence (I’m on a long journey with no return ticket) which makes me feel so selfish for having putting her life on hold with no return as well!
Am I scared of death, thanks to God my faith tells me “NO” but “YES” I am scared at the means of my demise with this debilitating illness AD and its subsequent affects on my darling wife and family as there lives are more important to me than my own.

I apologize if anyone is offended by what I have written but they are my own views and thoughts on the matter of perspectives within our illness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Barry

what an excellent post! Very illuminating to see you telling your story from both sides as, so often, we try to imagine how things are for our loved one who has dementia, but can never really understand fully.

Thanks for your thoughtful post!

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Barry

You requested that I copy our conversation here so that it is all in the one section, so here goes.

The thing with me is that I have no experience to draw upon and it is the biggest learning curve of my life so far. It is like undergoing a massive career change with no experience or qualifications. As well as undertaking a new career and having to learn on the job, I am continuing to run my practice, deal with the everyday things to do with the home and manage whatever else life has to offer. This new job now means managing staff that come into my home to care for Alan whilst I work (in the home) and this all needs organising to a Tee.

As things change with Alan, everything has to be readjusted and I feel it is important for me to make these readjustments because I want him to have the best possible life experience for as long as possible. What I find really hard is that Alan has no understanding of what it all involves in order for his life to be as good as it is. When I feel stressed I actually become frightened because I am afraid of not being able to continue to function in the ways that I do Sometimes it is like watching the plates I am spinning come falling down and I start to manically try to restore order and this is never the right thing for me to do. Alan then gets the brunt of all this panic and he does not have the capability of understanding what the matter is.

I can understand that when I do go out it must be very frightening for Alan because his world revolves around me and his security is me. Even if he can't think it in actual thoughts, I feel he knows it in his being. I think if he could tell his story it would involve a massive experience curve. He has had to experience me expanding my abilities to the full and he has had to experience himself diminishing in the abilities he had (speech and language) primarily

I do apologise Barry if it is inappropriate to post on your thread in this way. Perhaps I should have blogged it or PM'd it but, much as I love the new TP, it is very much like hunt the post (hunt the thimble)

Love and best wishes

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
This is your response:-

Yesterday, 09:32 PM
Barry
Registered User Join Date: Oct 2006

Hi again Helen,

You write an excellent story of the reality of your situation and the effect its also having on your husband and I’m not just talking about the illness, what you say is true that as a loving wife you want to give Alan the best possible care but you also now have to carry the burden of keeping the household running in as normal way as possible whilst your spinning plates (I guess your into pottery craft?) ‘sorry I diverse’ but as I said before I can relate to your story and its made me think about myself and my wife and how its affecting her and what the future has in store for her, in fact now I want to write my own feeling about that, but think your right rather than it get lost in all the different postings I will add my story to the (I have dementia section) then maybe you could transfer your article above to be with it, you speak from the heart and you should most certainly share those thoughts with both careers and especially sufferers as many of us do start to forget just how demanding we become on our partner in life, yes there are two sides to the story of the condition, for those of us with the illness its like a book that’s slowly coming to and end that’s lost its plot and sense of content, but for the care giver it becomes a never ending story as for them it still continues even after our demise! Woops now I’m getting carried away with my thoughts as well! What I’m trying to say is that I can understand what you are saying as at the moment I can still see both point of view but at the end of the day it’s the care giver who has the most difficult role to play within this terrible illness (My thoughts are with you)
Barry

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Barry

Rather than be offended by what you've written, I think it is wonderful that you are able to share your thoughts and open up a discussion for the people that are in this together.

maybe it would be better if my life just quietly slipped away now so that my dear wife has her own life back before its too late as mine is now no more than an existence (I’m on a long journey with no return ticket) which makes me feel so selfish for having putting her life on hold with no return as well!

If your life quietly slipped away now Barry, even I would feel such deep loss - someone who is just getting to know you. It was evident to me from the start of seeing your posts on TP that you have so much to give; so much life in you. I do know that I often see things differently to other people and can be very idealistic but I know from my own experience that there are two ways of seeing things even for myself!! You say your life is no more than an existence and in comparison to how it once was, that may be true, BUT actually your life is far more than an existence. I experience you on TP as a man with a purpose and you have an important role to play.

When you mention putting your wife's life on hold, it made me think about myself and I knew that if Alan had said that to me I would reply in all honesty "My life is not on hold. The illness has entered our lives and I have chosen to take a different direction with my life. You have become my priority and I am learning every day how to deal with things. However, what I really require from you is that you do your best too. It doesn't mean that you can't share those dreadful feelings, worries and despairs but it does mean that then, like me, you pick yourself up, dust yourself down and do the best that you can. We will cope with the next stages when they arrive".

I will look forward to hearing from you Barry:)

Love

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Now I start asking myself some searing questions as I can’t bear the thought of all the problems that lay ahead of my darling wife and have often said maybe it would be better if my life just quietly slipped away now so that my dear wife has her own life back before its too late as mine is now no more than an existence (I’m on a long journey with no return ticket) which makes me feel so selfish for having putting her life on hold with no return as well!

Make the most of that journey with no return even with all the pain , its well worth it .

I now look back on the 7 years I have been caring for my mum, it was worth it . Like you say our life was on hold , but then is it?

How can we un hold it , as we can never go back in time to how life was .

Your wife life was your life . She can't go back also to how life was between the both of you before Demetria.

people keep telling me that my life was on hold while I look after mum , but it was not . It change my life change yes I change but I was still living my life . I was alive living but in a different way .

So it you left this earth now slowly slip away, your only course more pain to your wife . Like I would if I did that now my son pass away .

Its your feeling your thoughts I am sure you have not offended anyone in saying that . I hope you enjoy every moment of the future you have still cognitively with your wife. Mum still giving me great moment :) xxx she a fighter strong woman.

Last edited:

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
I think I must have been sleeping :Das I’m sure I’d missed reading these two replies from Helen and Margarita so I apologize for my delay in return reply, but thank you both for your very uplifting thoughts, truly life is just one long journey and we must make the most of every day no matter what the circumstances:)
God bless you both ;)