The train in Spain

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Some years ago my wife and I watched a programme in which talking about his father's role in the Spanish civil war opened up a more emotional, likeable and human side to Michael Portillo. I was keen to watch the first in his new series of train journeys starting in Salamanca, a city where my wife and I had some lovely holidays before dementia. I wasn't disappointed as the programme was both very interesting and personally evocative of those better times. It made me happy and left me with a desire to go that way again someday. But it also made me sad to think that none of it would have meant anything to my wife. The storks on top of the San Esteban basilica, the magnificent Plaza Mayor, the city walls of Avila, all would have gone unnoticed. Her witty comments on Portillo's unusual clothing colour combinations are just a voice from the past. I am happy in my own company and doing well. But not being able to share these things with her matters more than I expected.
IMG_2017.JPG

Last edited:

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Know what you mean @northumbrian_k only with us it is the photo slide shows I created of our Caravan touring days ranging from Pompeii in Italy, Germany, beautiful Holland, France and of course Spain. And the the British Isles from Cornwall to John O’Groats, the Orkney Isles and criss crossing Scotland including island hopping the Outer Hebrides; the whole of Island of Ireland north to south, plus glorious Wales. They mean little to her now and the occasional memory recall for her fails to raise any of the awe and sheer enjoyment she once had whereas I lust revel in it all and so wish it was possible to do again. Great post.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
@northumbrian_k - the loss of the sharing does leave an aching emptiness and I can empathise totally with you there.

I've tried photos, postcards, the odd short video clips, some of the touristy type books and well-thumbed maps to help my PWD recall places and moments we'd shared but they only made him sad that he could no longer remember those times. It almost seemed to make his feeling of having lost something, but not knowing what, greater and more distressing.

The yesterdays have disappeared, the tomorrows are places too far to travel, there is only the here and now.

Oh dear, I've gone all gloomy. Sorry! Best get my big girl pants on and forge ahead, onwards and upwards!