The Swinging 60's

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
My daily paper today is running an edition about the 1966 period and I thought it would be interesting to hear other peoples memories.
I was married with 3 children under the age of 6 but remember very well my first mini-skirt which measured 16" It was lime green with white polka dots and my Aunty said it showed the 'nick of my bottom'.
I also had a diaphanous 'baby doll' nighty in red and black[very daring] I think the years were more carefree then even though we hardly had any money, none to spare anyway.
Come on all you young at heart and we can have some light hearted moments

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I was 6 at the time, but I do remember have a pair of hot pants & long shocks that went up above my knees was around 11 at the time , that would have been around 1971 does that count ?

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Anyone remember Freddie & the Dreamers - I just read on another site that dear ol' Freddie Garritty has left this mortal coil. He was one of many 60's Merseyside stars.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Lynne said:
Anyone remember Freddie & the Dreamers - I just read on another site that dear ol' Freddie Garritty has left this mortal coil. He was one of many 60's Merseyside stars.

Was he a scouser or am I thinking of someone else? Just read that he died on holiday in North Wales. John Peel died on holiday, my dad died on my weekend away and my son got admitted to hospital last year on his holiday. I thought holidays were supposed to be good for you :eek:

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
noelphobic said:
Was he a scouser or am I thinking of someone else? QUOTE]

I'm answering my own question here, I just read he was born in Manchester. I obviously was thinking of someone else. I have read somewhere that there can be a genetic link with dementia, doesn't surprise me in my case :eek:

Frank

May 18, 2006
The 60's

Carefree? I think it depends on your perspective. I graduated from university in 1966 and rather than be drafted and sent to Vietnam I went to Sweden. The sixities were a troubled and troubling time for me and many of my generation, although most of us did manage to have a lot of fun along the way.

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
I wasn't very old but do remember buying my very first single by Petula Clark!! Can't remember if it was 'Downtown' or 'I know a Place' I then became very 'with it' and my next buy was 'The Hollies'

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
Here's a pic of me and my mate from a 60's band ...... I'm the one on the right ;)

Macca and Paul.jpg

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Is that really Paul or just a model of him?

He does look a bit un real with all that plastic surgery :D Go on tell us the story how you came to meet him? I read in the papers that his spilt with his wife :eek:

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
I remember the sixties, born in 1954, I remember at the latter end babysitting for a farmer while he went to an all night "pop festival"

Over the night air came the Mungo Jerry hit In The Summertime, I was left babysitting three small children with an unloaded shotgun to point at any stray Hippies who may have come my way.

None did, I felt quite put out, oh the innocence of youth!!

I had hot pants and a bright red mini skirt, the music shocked my poor Dad, but Mum loved it and still does.

At our all girl secondary modern school, we would roll the tops of our skirts over to make them shorter, the headmistress took to measuring the length and handing out detentions to anyone who had more than two inches of leg showing above the knee.

Imagine the outcry from pupils today, we were actually punished for not sticking to the school rules...........shock horror!!!

Happy, hippy days

Kathleen

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
swinging 60's

I'm sorry Frank if I offended you. I had completely forgotten that this forum is International. If you are American I suppose the 60's weren't a great time . It was the beginning of the end of war-time austerity for us British so I suppose we appreciated more.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Ah, the Sixties

Back-combed 'big' hairstyles like Dusty's beehive, solid with hair spray, the demure little kitten-heeled shoes you wore to leave the house, in case mum or dad saw you going out - and the stilletto heeled winklepickers you smuggled out & slipped on when you were out of sight at the bus stop, or when you got to your mate's house! My feet are still the shape of winkle pickers today! :p
Stockings & suspenders, mini-skirts which flashed your stocking tops if you weren't "ladylike" in how you moved & sat :eek: , thigh high boots and satin hot-pants with fishnet tights (were hot pants 60s, or 70s?), white lipstick, 'panda' eye makeup, 24" waist (where did that go?) and pointy Playtex bras.

The boys were Teds sort of left over from the late 50s, with slicked back D/A haircuts, velvet jackets, drainpipe trousers & suede 'brothel-creepers' (Not that we knew what a brothel was, of course) Then when the Beatles burst on the scene, male hairstyling changed forever. It's laughable now when you look at early pics. of them, but the Beatles & the Stones had :eek: "long hair" according to our parents. Some of the more fashion conscious boys adopted their hair- and clothing-styles, others turned into 'Mods' (short hair, parka, Crombie coat and/or motor scooter) or 'Rockers' (longer hair or Teddy boy style D/A, jeans & leather jackets, with or without motorbike). Meeting places for teenagers were mainly Youth Club ("boring"), coffee bars, or sometimes pubs if you looked old enough & could afford it, & the landlord would let you. Girls, of course, couldn't possibly go into a pub unless they were with a man! It just wasn't done!

Jobs were easy to get, 'redundancy' wasn't a word we (as teenagers) had ever heard of. If we were sick, we went to the doctor's house & sat in the waiting room with other people until our turn came around to see him. There were no health centres, appointments or receptionists, you just went there & sat & caught everything everyone else was suffering from! :( If there wasn't a bus service to where we wanted to go, we (kids) hitch-hiked, most of the time quite safely - unless the driver who stopped was a friend of your Dad, in which case you were in for BIG trouble at home. Most families had only 1 car, if they had one at all, and it was common for everyone to cycle or walk to work and school. Supermarkets had only just arrived in Britain (and were more like a corner shop by comparison to today's huge sheds) & Mum shopped for fresh groceries every other day (or sent one of the kids) or had things delivered to the back door by the milkman, butcher's van, greengrocer and coalman.

Oh boy, can somebody please turn the calendar back???

Last edited:

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Stockings & suspenders, mini-skirts which flashed your stocking tops if you weren't "ladylike" in how you moved & sat , thigh high boots and satin hot-pants with fishnet tights (were hot pants 60s, or 70s?), white lipstick, 'panda' eye makeup, 24" waist and pointy Playtex bras.

That is my exact memory - that and being 'Master of the Universe' , being in love and having so much fun!

Thanks for the memory!

Michael

DaisyG

Feb 20, 2006
North West England
Memories....

I had the hot pants (but I was only a toddler !)... and so jealous of my big sisters
'grown up' hot pants.
Hers were white...... with a patch pocket with a butterfly.
Mine were navy blue with gold buttons... and no pocket... Can remember it clearly!!

My nan always had SPANGLES (sweets) in her pinifore pocket.
Didn't really like them ... but ate them anyway... so as not to upset nan.

Used to listen to 'the wireless' with nan too....

Remember 'a man' coming over to change the 'tubes' in the wireless....
I thought this was so funny as a toddler that a radio has tubes!!

I remember the coal man, ... baker man....fish man...vege man ... all visiting too.

Neighbourhoods seemed to really care about one another in those days.

Times really have changed....

DaisyG

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Going back to the Dusty Springfield beehive I remember my cousins girlfriend always used to wear her hair like that in the early sixties...I really adored her because she was young and pretty and fun but I was only about 6 at the time when I touched her hair and got a real shock....it was like touching a bird's nest....not sure what I expected it to feel like but that memory is still with me after 43 years
Wendy

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
DaisyG said:
IUsed to listen to 'the wireless' with nan too....

Really stirring up memories now: Sunday lunchtimes radio, the Billy Cotton Bandshow, The Navy Lark, Round the Horn, 2-way Family Favourites.

Daisy said:
Neighbourhoods seemed to really care about one another in those days.

Times really have changed....

DaisyG

Yes, they certainly have, but it's not all bad. Now we have 'virtual' friends & neighbours from all over the world, at our fingertips,
courtesy of computers and the Internet. And we really care about one another as well, even though we've never seen or spoken to each other!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife