The Swinging 60's

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Who remembers the dungarees? Think it was from the 1960s as my mum sister had a pair , she brought me one ,but I was a big girl & it did not look so nice as it did on my untie .

This phone was taken when I was 11 1970/1, with my untie.

Its not a very clear photo . so not sure how its going to work

Me on the right

Attachments

• Me (2).JPG
    Me (2).JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Mel

Had to make it smaller just added, but can’t understand why it’s taken up so much space :confused:

Taken In Battersea park when the fun fair use to be there

Last edited:

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
I was so sheltered and clueless in the 60's. We used to go to place called "The Hut" that always had a live band and they let us dance as "gogo" dancers on pedestals! Remember the Pony, Jerk, ummmm, I'll have to stretch to think of other dances! (yes, I had white gogo boots) So fun, my brother used to get on stage and sing Ina Goda DeVida ! ( is that really the title or just phonetically accurate?) Music trivia isn't my strong suit but ask me anything about Star Trek from the 60's and I can probably answer it! I didn't know one person personally that went to Viet Nam, thought Strawberry wine was dangerous, never had an encounter with drugs until I wondered why girls down the hall in my dormitory were burning tea:rolleyes: , thought "free love" and "flower children" were really groovy.

God I'm old !!
Debbie

DaisyG

Feb 20, 2006
North West England
More Memories...

Just remembered we had a 'party line'.... (Phone)

Our line was shared with a 'Lord' who lived in a big Manor house miles away.

As kids we used to get dad to drive us 'down the lane' so we could feed his horses over the fence.....

We were so happy as kids ... and had nothing really.
Not like the kids of today.

DaisyG

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
rummy said:
they let us dance as "gogo" dancers on pedestals!

ah now I have the picture - Debbie as a Goldie Hawn.... as in the Rowan and Martin Laugh-In. That show epitomises the times for me.

... also The Twist, and the first time I visited the US and bought the "Joey Dee and the Starliters at the Peppermint Lounge" album from Macey's [always my first stop when visiting NY in those days]

Frank

May 18, 2006
The 60's

Dear Mocha,

No offense taken. I loved the 60's and did have a great time through them. Had it not been for the Vietnam war I would never have gone to grad school, gone to Stockholm, Sweden to do so, would have missed making friends on the otherside of the 'Iron Curtain' and even spending a night in the Leningrad jail (think you folks spell it gaol). The next 20 years of my career path was determined by my unwillingness to go to Vietnam and because of that I lived two years in Sweden, three in Germany (West), four in Italy and four in The Netherlands. When I finally did return to the US I had a pretty good idea who I was, what I wanted out of life and how I was going to get it. I have had a great ride so far and it would not have happened otherwise.

Frank

maggier

Jan 9, 2006
manchester
I remember making a skirt in needlework and it was so short, that when I tried it on pin up the hem, my sewing teacher made me bend over the desk and she drew a white chalk mark across my navy blue nickers, to show me how much of my knickers i was showing the boys (don't know what her problem was!!!)

Also remember watching the Black and White Minstrels on Sunday evening (bathtime before school the next day) whilst mum was ironing our school uniforms and dad was cleaning our shoes. (P.S. everything was black and white then as there was only black and white telly!!)

Such simple yet happy family times. I doubt that our kids and grandkids will look back on such basic things with such happy memories, it's all X-Boxes and mobile phones now. I don't think kids ever get their school shoes cleaned (if they even wear shoes, it's usually trainers)

Happy days!!!

Love

Maggie x x :)

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
1960s

Hey all

Lovely to read all this. What a shame it wasn't posted a few weeks ago. I had to write an essay for my OU course about the 'cultural revolution' of the 1960s! I concentrated on the UK and the US and it was interesting to see the contrasts in some areas. Still awaiting my grade. Frank, I was interested to read about avoiding the Vietnam draft. I read that a lot of students did this and that the 'counter-revolution' started in the universities. Fascinating. I was a tot back then so missed a lot of the really big stuff. Although I do remember the moon landing in 1969. We were all at school and the teacher wheeled out this telly on legs (not real ones) into the assembly hall. Opened the doors on it and we watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon. Truly, truly amazing. But the real highlight for me has to be going to see the Sound of Music with my mum. Still love Christopher Plummer!!:)