The stimulating effect of a new interest

Milvus

Sep 5, 2019
Who would think that the prospect of entering a care home could have such a positive effect on someone? We've watched Mum going downhill, becoming more and more confused and frustrated and reaching the point where she isn't safe on her own at home any more. Lockdown hasn't helped either as there has been little to stimulate her over the past year. Recently she returned from a two week stay in hospital following a fall and was tired, confused, and hardly in touch with reality.

We've found a rather lovely care home for her which she goes to this coming week and since being told, shown a brochure and being taken on a virtual tour with the manager she has perked up no end and is full of enthusiasm and busy planning everything. Honestly, you would hardly know she has dementia just now! I can't believe the transformation. She's speaking rationally and is busy organising everyone. It's as if the original person has reappeared from some shadowy place. It just makes me wonder to what extent circumstances contribute to dementia symptoms.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@Milvus It's great news that your mum is looking forward to going into the home, and it will make the move seem so much better/easier for you too. You must be so relieved. Dementia can make people feel low in mood and anxious, which can add to confusion and frustration, plus loneliness can also contribute to these feelings. If you mum has been living alone then having company around all the time is likely to boost her mood, it did for my mum when she first moved into a home. I hope the move goes smoothly and your mum settles in well to her new environment. - let us know how it goes.

Milvus

Sep 5, 2019
@Milvus It's great news that your mum is looking forward to going into the home, and it will make the move seem so much better/easier for you too. You must be so relieved. Dementia can make people feel low in mood and anxious, which can add to confusion and frustration, plus loneliness can also contribute to these feelings. If you mum has been living alone then having company around all the time is likely to boost her mood, it did for my mum when she first moved into a home. I hope the move goes smoothly and your mum settles in well to her new environment. - let us know how it goes.
Thank you. It's a very big change but at least we're starting on a positive note.

Skippy43

Jun 8, 2019
My mum was the same after we had a live in carer move in. She enjoyed teaching her the old way of doing things such as making apple crumble, and cleaning the brass etc.

mag123

Feb 6, 2017
My mum was the same after we had a live in carer move in. She enjoyed teaching her the old way of doing things such as making apple crumble, and cleaning the brass etc.
How did you find the live in carer? It seems like an ideal solution for many, but how would one go about it?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Such wonderful news @Milvus

I`ve posted before about my husband`s expressions of loneliness at home with me and how much he enjoyed the comings and goings in his care home. Always something going on and even if he didn`t join in he was happy to watch.

Wishing20

Feb 27, 2020
Such wonderful news @Milvus

I`ve posted before about my husband`s expressions of loneliness at home with me and how much he enjoyed the comings and goings in his care home. Always something going on and even if he didn`t join in he was happy to watch.
My Mum’s life at home had diminished significantly, she did nothing but sleep and stay in her room, when she moved to a Care Home on emergency respite, it appeared to be so much better for her, as she previously was a very sociable person... the Home allowed ad-hoc visiting (remember those days!) and lots of activities... all was well until Covid lockdown. Now she says she doesn’t want to be there, but her Dementia has advanced and she needs 24 hour care... I spend a lot of time wondering if this is the best for her... I wonder if live in Care would be better, but in our area I haven’t heard of anyone recommending this approach. Does everyone feel like this?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The Covid year has damaged all of us whether ill or well in our own homes or care homes/hospital. `Coming out of it is akin to rehabilitation.

Once your mother`s home is back to normal @Wishing20 , even though her dementia has progressed I hope she`ll benefit from a better care arrangement and more communal living.

Milvus

Sep 5, 2019
I'm hoping for this too as Mum went seriously downhill on admission to the care home. Now they are allowing day trips out and I've got one booked for next week along with a hairdressers appointment - the first in many months - and lunch out somewhere. Hopefully that will cheer her up a bit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951