The Songaminute Man

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Apologies if you have all seen this before - and I hope its OK to post this!

A friend on FB sent me a link to the 'Songaminute Man' - a young man who's dad, despite having dementia, is still able to remember the words to so many songs - and sing them beautifully! The son has been videoing his Dad as he blasts out some really fab renditions of well know classics, and posting them, encouraging people to donate - he is currently just £1000 off being able to fund a National Dementia Advisor for an entire year. Its a fantastic way to not only raise funds - but raise spirits too!

Hoping this link works - worth a listen, if only to make you smile - Quando, Quando, Quando :D

https://www.facebook.com/songaminute/videos/1137421556318510/

*edit* The Justgiving link is here https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/songaminute

Last edited by a moderator:

pins tony

Oct 20, 2014
bristol
song a minute

A friend on FB sent me a link to the 'Songaminute Man' - a young man who's dad, despite having dementia, is still able to remember the words to so many songs - and sing them beautifully! The son has been videoing his Dad as he blasts out some really fab renditions of well know classics, and posting them, encouraging people to donate - he is currently just £1000 off being able to fund a National Dementia Advisor for an entire year. Its a fantastic way to not only raise funds - but raise spirits too!

Hoping this link works - worth a listen, if only to make you smile - Quando, Quando, Quando :D

Thanks for video the singing was fantastic.but for me the love between father and son brought a tear to me I.do you know how to donate to the sons charity tony

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I thought it was wonderful too, especially the relationship between father and son.

That aspect got me too - so lovely to see :) Like Carmar, I've also felt pretty emotional at just how wonderful it is!

Tony, there is a link on the FB page to a 'just giving' page, set up for him to collect donations :) Can one of the mods let me know please, if its OK to add the link? Thank you :)

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
How lovely to watch the father and son singing together.

I went to the JustGiving page and read that the father had been a singer at Butlins in his youth. Also, due to his Alzheimers he had become violent and difficult to care for until they started encouraging him to sing.

Going back to watch again....Thank you for posting this Ann.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Brought a lump to my throat send a tear to my eye too, what a lovely son. Have tried to put it on my Facebook page, as we have quite a lot of Dementia among friends and family.....

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Thank you for adding the 'justgiving' link, Mark :)

I went to the JustGiving page and read that the father had been a singer at Butlins in his youth. Also, due to his Alzheimers he had become violent and difficult to care for until they started encouraging him to sing.

I read this too - isn't it fabulous when something as simple as singing can make such a difference!

Glad so many of you enjoyed it - its nice to come across something so uplifting, I think xxx

pins tony

Oct 20, 2014
bristol
songalonge man

*edit* The Justgiving link is here https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/songaminute

Thanks for link .just made a donation tony

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
The son was interviewed on local radio this morning. His dad has been told that he is raising money for an old age charity and thinks he has raised about £18 quid.

Bless him. Wouldn't he be amazed if he knew/understood the real total so far?

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
This inspired me to put an Elvis cd on today as OH was bored and prowling so he then sat with me whilst i was working singing along with Elvis (OH has a good voice) but he can't remember the words much but it really lifted his and my mood. He laughed when I sang along - can't think why

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I read something about it in the paper, so long as someone is looking after him and making sure nobody rips him off it's good news.

His son is - the bond between the two is just lovely. Half the proceeds from any sales are going to alzheimers research, the other half to the gentleman and his wife :)